What's Looking Good in October 2024

Ugh! This is the buddleia that seeds itself all over the place, and is a pig to get rid of. It started spreading on all the bomb sites back in world war 2 a pale mauve colour.
It is much better to grow the cultivars that don't spread like this if you plant this for the butterflies, like ''black knight'' or ''royal red'' - or for the pale mauve colour, try buddleia ''alternifolia'' a beautiful early flowering variety with scent!

Ok smarty pants, so it's another mauve buddleia that I recently planted. Not the same as the last, but a new cultivar that stays very small. I thought it was worth giving this a try to see how it behaves. It is growing in the wildflower bit out front. One thing is for sure, this one will be much easier to prune.

Ugh! This is the buddleia that seeds itself all over the place, and is a pig to get rid of. It started spreading on all the bomb sites back in world war 2 a pale mauve colour.
It is much better to grow the cultivars that don't spread like this if you plant this for the butterflies, like ''black knight'' or ''royal red'' - or for the pale mauve colour, try buddleia ''alternifolia'' a beautiful early flowering variety with scent!
I was only reading the other day that Buddleia are now classed as an invasive species in Germany. So could not agree with you more.

Back