What's Looking Good in June 2024

With all those Lilies in your garden, I guess the scent must be really heavy! Are the blue flowers Gentians?
When I tried growing Lilies, I invited clouds of Lily beetles 😟
Yes it does smell good out in the yard Tetters

I’m not sure about my little blue flowers, I planted them this spring .

I haven’t had any trouble with beetles yet

The first one is Hymenocallis (spider lily) and I think the pink one looks like an Amaryllis - not 100% sure. If it is, it will be quite tall with a whorl of flowers in a circle... quite straight and upright.

Imagine a row of these plants with their showy flowers that bloom all summer.

"Hibiscus" I'm guessing is what @Tetters is thinking right now, but no this is okra a member of the Hibiscus family. It has the most beautiful blooms in my vegetable garden. Each bloom lasts only one day and wilts by sundown and if pollinated becomes an okra pod. The flowers are edible but most of us prefer the pods which are absolutely delicious fried, grilled, stewed, etc.

We are consistently picking about 3 gallons a week of the pods and will continue harvesting until fall. Definitely a big favorite in hot summer garden.

okra 2.webp

okra.webp

Each bloom lasts only one day and wilts by sundown and if pollinated becomes an okra pod.

I didn't realize this fact. Maybe this is why I'm not getting many okra? I don't really see a lot of bee activity in our garden, so maybe the flowers aren't all getting pollinated?

That said, I'd expect to not be getting all the other veggies we're getting if that were the case.

Back