What's Looking Good in September 2024

I also notice how the moisture under stones and concrete helps lily family bulbs. Mondo always seems robust nearby those materials. Nice boulders btw- did you raise them from pebbles?

I like , how your bulbs are growing under you trees, and wish I had your wall , with the potted Bromeliads
All of my rocks were full grown when I picked them up.

Those are beautiful. I have been in awe of your vegetable gardening expertise for a long time with great interest @Meadowlark, but it's only recently that you have shown the flowers around your place as well.
I think that this fact has much to do with the fact that your veggies are so successful. The encouragement of birds and butterflies and other essential insects is very important. Seeing that it all does so well without using the usual abundance of poisons is proof that this way of gardening is best.

The fact that we have seen so few bees and butterflies this year is alarming, and I believe it will prove costly. It makes me shudder.

The one thing to watch out for when growing Lilies, is that they are super toxic to cats and dogs. They can cause liver failure.

Those are beautiful. I have been in awe of your vegetable gardening expertise for a long time with great interest @Meadowlark, but it's only recently that you have shown the flowers around your place as well.
I think that this fact has much to do with the fact that your veggies are so successful. The encouragement of birds and butterflies and other essential insects is very important. Seeing that it all does so well without using the usual abundance of poisons is proof that this way of gardening is best.
Thank you @Tetters... and I do agree with your comment. I haven't shown you (and others) the bird feeders which attract all kinds of songbirds which are critical to insect control in the garden...and just about at any given time you can watch 6-8 Cardinals at one feeder while smaller birds frequent another and hummingbirds still another.

...The fact that we have seen so few bees and butterflies this year is alarming, and I believe it will prove costly. It makes me shudder.
That is alarming. Hopefully it is just a temporary aberration. I'm lucky that Beekeepers have many hives in this area and bring their bees in from northern areas for winters here because of the mild climate and the diversity of plant growth.

...The one thing to watch out for when growing Lilies, is that they are super toxic to cats and dogs. They can cause liver failure.
I did not know that...thanks. Those spider lilys have been around here for decades. I guess our dogs don't think much of them. I have put up a small fence to protect them from the milkweed garden but not aware of the spider lily threat. Nothing I can do about it really as they are all over.

@Meadowlark I've the Red spider lilies which had to have been planted here decades and decades ago. They multiply without any attention at all. As a matter of fact, my yard had not one plant in it that anyone could see. It was grass and a few trees. When I started letting the grass grow tall in 2020, for the moths, bees, and other critters to enjoy I found the Spider liliy foliage and then that fall some flowered. Every year that has followed more have bloomed. Last year I dug up and moved 127 bulbs. I have about 45 more this year, that are in bud in the grass. Today I marked them all with white plant markers, so I don't step on them, and will be transplanting to my flower beds later.
For every blooming flower I get 3-7 bulbs in that clump. I have been giving lots away but this year, nobody will take any more !! 😆

And I agree with Tetters, you have some expertise in gardening !!

In a recent posting I made concerning @Dirtmechanic 's dog, sniffing at these flowers, he actually mentioned that the cats around there had liver problems. Maybe they attract cats more than dogs??
The only way we would be able to grow them here would be in pots, so they can be taken in during cold blasts - which can happen at any time here.....must be global warming :rolleyes:

@Anniekay , here is an example of what you wrote above that I ran across today...must have been planted by squirrels?

View attachment 1277
I think they self seed. I have a large group growing in the grass in about a 25-30' circle, then I have others scattered to the north of those. The original ones that flowered were to the south of the group in the circle. Our wind comes predominantly from the S/ SE. so, makes sense to me that they self seed.

Those are in an area containing not a single spider lily plant...but there is a pine tree nearby that squirrels frequently visit.

The red spider lily does not produce seed

Fruit:Fruit Type:CapsuleFruit Length:< 1 inchFruit Width:< 1 inchFruit Description:The fruit is a three-valved capsule containing several black seeds.

Last edited:
Back