What's Looking Good in May 2024

Love those flowers! A quick read tell me this is something that might grow quite well here. Definitely something to look into for the back yard.

Same Peanut Cactus a few days later.

DSC04525.JPG

This plant suffered sun damage a few years ago, hence taking it out of the shop as it had gone brown and the skin had hardened. Instead of throwing it on the compost I looked after it and it grew out the following year :)

You sure have some good looking cacti @Zigs. I was showing the wife a few days ago and she's considering trying some in the back yard. We usually can't grow anything back there because our dogs will dig up, and eat, any flowers we plant back there. I have a feeling, though, that they'll leave the cacti alone. They might try at least one, but they're pretty smart dogs and I doubt they'd go in for seconds.

You sure have some good looking cacti @Zigs. I was showing the wife a few days ago and she's considering trying some in the back yard. We usually can't grow anything back there because our dogs will dig up, and eat, any flowers we plant back there. I have a feeling, though, that they'll leave the cacti alone. They might try at least one, but they're pretty smart dogs and I doubt they'd go in for seconds.
What breed are your dogs Mike? I have noticed that dogs generally don't much like anything to do with pungent plants like Rosemary, Mint or Lavender. It might be a plan to plant some of these kind of herbs to see how they behave.......or as another plan, take them to some public gardens on a lead and introduce them there instead.
Otherwise I suppose it has to be a fence or hedge of Berberis stenophylla (an anti neighbour plant) 🥴

What breed are your dogs Mike?

They're part Labrador Retriever and part American Pointer. They're a brother/sister combo. We had the female first then rescued the male from an abusive home when he was still about six months old. They're 12 years old now and think everything in the back yard is theirs. Actually, let's face it... everything in the back and is theirs...😂

I'm not going to argue but Aquilegia tend to self seed everywhere. :D
I usually argue Sheal, but there comes a time when one has to simply give up :rolleyes: These have reverted too, and now they are very plain granny bonnets. The bees think they're great, and as you say they have self seeded all over the place. Those are growing through the gravel on the front driveway.

They're part Labrador Retriever and part American Pointer. They're a brother/sister combo. We had the female first then rescued the male from an abusive home when he was still about six months old. They're 12 years old now and think everything in the back yard is theirs. Actually, let's face it... everything in the back and is theirs...😂
Our last two were also rescues, and we think they were puppy farmed. They were both big Yorkshire terriers, and could have come from the same litter. We have lost them both now, and miss them terribly.

Ta Mike :)

I'm thinking a big Opuntia might defeat the dogs :D

Back