What's happening in your garden today?

Finished back filling the 'grave' I dug. Wood in the bottom, then old grass cuttings, then some soil, then compost, more soil, more compost and a final layer of soil. I'll probably hoe in a sprinkle of blood fish and bone and a bit of manure before I plant, thinking winter onions at the moment, but that could change.

Last edited:
Planning on buying new outdoor furniture and thinking of rattan. Do you guys have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
As long as it's got a roof over it like on a porch or covered patio it lasts a good while. It's also very attractive !! My friend has the wicker-look rockers on her covered porch. I think they're a type of nylon or plastic, anyway, rotproof, but look just like wicker.

Back on topic, I expanded one flower bed out front to line up better with the gate. No more weed-eating that tricky corner !!!

Late r, once it cools down, around 6ish, I need to edge my front yard a long the sidewalkand my front walkway.

As long as it's got a roof over it like on a porch or covered patio it lasts a good while. It's also very attractive !! My friend has the wicker-look rockers on her covered porch. I think they're a type of nylon or plastic, anyway, rotproof, but look just like wicker.

Back on topic, I expanded one flower bed out front to line up better with the gate. No more weed-eating that tricky corner !!!

Late r, once it cools down, around 6ish, I need to edge my front yard a long the sidewalkand my front walkway.
Haha, congrats on conquering that tricky corner with your weed-eater! But seriously, thanks for the advice on rattan furniture. What do you think about the maintenance requirements for rattan vs. other materials?

Finished back filling the 'grave' I dug. Wood in the bottom, then old grass cuttings, then some soil, then compost, more soil, more compost and a final layer of soil. I'll probably hoe in a sprinkle of blood fish and bone and a bit of manure before I plant, thinking winter onions at the moment, but that could change.
Which onions do you call ''winter'' ones Olly? Our harvest of onions this year was a total wash out. It seems the cold weather/ air temperature, so there weren't really any to string up - now even for a meagre necklace!!

Fall/winter garden prep completed today and now it is ready to plant. Five raised rows, several Hugenkultur tubs, and trellis forms the basis to be planted and the walkways are mulched with Sunn Hemp .

1) The HK tubs (about 20 of them) will be planted in leafy veggies broccoli, bok choy, lettuce, Chard, cabbage etc. etc. starting tomorrow.

2) The trellis will be planted tomorrow in blue lake pole beans.

3) The first raised row on the left will be planted in 1015 yellow Texas super sweet onions for harvest next May. Plant on 10-15.

4) The next raised row to the right will be planted next February for the spring potato harvest in late May.

5) The third raised row will be planted in the next few days with the fall potato crop. The seed potato pieces were cut today from left-over potato from the spring harvest and include Sarpa Mira, Yukon Gold, and Red Pontiac.

6) The fourth and fifth raised rows will be planted with multiple brassicas staggered over the next three months along with various other cool season veggies.

The remainder of the garden (all to the left of the photo) will soon be planted in cover crops of rye, vetch, clover, turnips, dakon radish, and Austrian peas.

It is supposed to rain here this week and hopefully that will kick start the fall growing season.

Fall garden 24.webp

Fall/winter garden prep completed today and now it is ready to plant. Five raised rows, several Hugenkultur tubs, and trellis forms the basis to be planted and the walkways are mulched with Sunn Hemp .

1) The HK tubs (about 20 of them) will be planted in leafy veggies broccoli, bok choy, lettuce, Chard, cabbage etc. etc. starting tomorrow.

2) The trellis will be planted tomorrow in blue lake pole beans.

3) The first raised row on the left will be planted in 1015 yellow Texas super sweet onions for harvest next May. Plant on 10-15.

4) The next raised row to the right will be planted next February for the spring potato harvest in late May.

5) The third raised row will be planted in the next few days with the fall potato crop. The seed potato pieces were cut today from left-over potato from the spring harvest and include Sarpa Mira, Yukon Gold, and Red Pontiac.

6) The fourth and fifth raised rows will be planted with multiple brassicas staggered over the next three months along with various other cool season veggies.

The remainder of the garden (all to the left of the photo) will soon be planted in cover crops of rye, vetch, clover, turnips, dakon radish, and Austrian peas.

It is supposed to rain here this week and hopefully that will kick start the fall growing season.

View attachment 1146
Meadowlark, can you grow tomatoes there, or is it too hot? With a garden that size I would drown in sauce

Yes spring and fall. The spring tomatoes must be started indoors in order to get them in the ground in time to beat the heat. The fall tomatoes here are a big gamble on the weather cooling enough in September to set fruit in time to ripen before first frost. Some years it works but often it does not.

We usually can about 30 quarts each spring and eat as many as we can tolerate fresh. We grow romas, Whoppers, and super sweet 100s with an occasional heatmaster and or Arkansas traveler for hot weather.

tomatoes_001.webp

It's been overcast ans in the 70's for the past vouple days so I've managed to weed and fertilize verything except for my fruit trees and the daylillies that I intend to divide and relocate this fall. Also I took clematis seedheads from all 4 of my clematis and put them in pots, see if I get germination at about 3 months time. I'm excited to see if I can get that to happen. !!

We might be a little late, but we just finally got our garden chopped up and fall garden plants into the ground yesterday. I'd hoped to do it a few weeks ago, but we've been super busy lately and we just didn't have time to make it happen until yesterday. Hopefully some things will still work!

Back