PSA: Outdoors and your clothing

Then of course, there was the bee that fractured one of my fingers only a few yards from a hospital...
Now c'mon, do tell!! @Sandy Ground

As for my white faced hornet attack: I was mowing on the edge of a field that we had had logged. The mower backfired and choked off a couple of clouds of black smoke, then quit on me. I was not far from a big, thickly branched cedar tree that, unbeknownst to me, had a huge hornets nest in it and, when I got off the mower, something stung me in the neck. It felt like a hot nail had been shot into me.

I took off running for the house and on the way, was stung again, on the other side of my neck. Then I scared up and actually passed a rabbit on the way 😂.
As I ascended he steps, yep, third sting. When I got inside, that dang hornet had followed me in !! By then he was pretty pooped, as was I but I got him !!

I called the AG Extension guy and sent him a photo of that hornet because I'd never seen one before. He said those white-faced hornets are the most agressive species we have in the area and I was lucky that this happened at a time other than dawn or dusk when the whole hive is home. Once I knew where they were, I stayed away but you could actually hear them humming at dusk from 100 yards away!!

Back