What's happening in your garden today?

We don't have a Horse Chestnut Tree :cautious:

View attachment 1483
Mmm I don't suppose we have a squirrel :unsure:
When we found the first hedgehog collapsed in the front garden a few years ago, we kept him in our garden as we didn't think he was a "full shilling.
At this time of year, it's not just underweight baby hogs to watch out for, it's drunken ones too. If they manage to find rotting fruit that has fallen from someone's tree and fermented they have a bit of a knees up! The one a neighbour brought to me to look after, was well oiled, and he thrashed about in his temporary straw bed until the next morning. He needed an hour or two to get over his hangover.
The neighbour had explained that he had fallen off a low wall, and she was afraid he was ill :rolleyes:

Prospective occupant leaving the property after a viewing.

IMAG0005.webp

The posts and the wire keeps the visiting cats away from the food bowl.
Here the bowl has been pushed away from the house as usual. The hedgehogs move it when it's empty, "in case there might be more food under it." They are long gone, as it's now 8.00 am.

IMAG0063.webp

Prospective occupant leaving the property after a viewing.

View attachment 1489

The posts and the wire keeps the visiting cats away from the food bowl.
Here the bowl has been pushed away from the house as usual. The hedgehogs move it when it's empty, "in case there might be more food under it." They are long gone, as it's now 8.00 am.
Lovely Mr Regan 😊

I don't like Laurels, particularly the variegated one's that look like they've been splashed with paint. I have four in this new garden, three of which that will meet their demise eventually. Surprisingly, having good soil here, the first one was fairly easy to dig out today.

IMG_8445.webp

I've replaced it with this young Weigela 'Rubidor' that I grew from a cutting.

IMG_8447.webp

And talking of Weigela's, that's another word that has altered in recent years. It used to be known as Weigelia.
I think you may have made a mistake there - it was called Weigela when I first started working at the nursery and that was 35 years ago. I have always called it Weigela before that too, however, I know a few people who pronounce it wrongly even now. In fact I have noticed that a lot of plants that end with an 'a' seem to have an extra 'i' added by some :rolleyes:

Gave the mossy bits on the lawn a dose of iron sulphate.

P1020290.JPG

Regardless of what I do, I'm finding it impossible to get grass to grow in the shade of this acer palmatum.

P1020291.JPG

It wasn't a problem when it was smaller. Even though I give its "fringe" a trim each year, the cover is too great.

It's a long time since it looked like this.

P1020451.JPG

So I'm considering that in the winter, I'll remove the brick circle and make a "half circle" edge, similar to the one I have around the other acer, leaving a greater area of bare earth. I might need some more paving bricks.

This sorbus is still retaining its berries.

P1020292.JPG

P1020294.JPG

It, as well as other plants at the bottom of the garden, will benefit from the removal of the big tree in the garden next door to the left.

Little colour now in the garden, other than the new heathers, the roses are all but finished and this is the last flowering plant on the rockery.

P1020295.JPG

Leaves from the trees in the garden to the right of ours are already starting to fall.

It'll be a weekly job to clear them for a couple of months. Fortunately, my old Flymo Ultraglide, with its big fan at the back, is great at collecting them when I mow.

I'll get into those trees in the winter with my long pruner and cut off more of the branches that hang over our garden, but they're a long way up now.

Would it not be easier to continue the curve of the lawn that is without bricks with an edging tool - leaving the present bricks where they are, and maybe growing some smaller azaleas or similar in the extra bit as an edge to the bed?
If that tree gets much wider, it will eventually reach the path!

It's an idea, but I gave up "edging" fifteen years ago.
I want a brick edge to the lawn, like the left-hand border, so I can run my Flymo over it

That goes to show how bad my eyes have become. I had to squint hard to see the bricks along the border - I just thought that was a well kept edge to the lawn :rolleyes:

They're more like how I want them, "unnoticeable." but I do occasionally go over them with my jet-wash to remove any moss build-up. Then they can look a bit, "in your face" for a bit, as they were when I laid them.
Actually, you've found me another job, as they could do with another go over.
This is how they were in 2011, two years after I'd put them down.

P1020448.webp

P1030665.webp

P1030723.webp

Back