Weather..

New Pioneer Woman here. 😜 My house survived!! The house shook for 7 hours straight!! 9:30pm-4:30am. Nobody slept. Sounded like shovels full of pebbles hitting the house and banshees screaming .View attachment 1345my yard was completely impassable. Took me 2 hours to get the big branches out of my drive, but the car is ok, just a couple scrapes and dents.The roads were impassable until late Saturday night. No electric, no internet, no refrigerator, no stores or gas stations open. Cell towers down.
Today I drove for six hours getting supplies, gas and charging my phone. Cell towers were up again but it’s projected it may be after October 5 before we get power back.
AND… there is another storm forming in the tropics that is projected to hit fl and might even come the same path as Helene!!

Why not? The last three all came through here, why change a good thing!! 😉

Anyway, thank you @Tetters and @Jersey Devil and all the rest of you for your concern !! Much appreciated!!

I think I may take up candle making as there isn’t much to do or see after dark around here unless I want to take up stargazing, that is 🤣

PS all my lovely spider lillies are no more. Everyone flattened under branches
Great to see you are OK to keep making holes in the ground :):cool:

Sunny skies!! We got power back yesterday afternoon !! * does happy dance*. One of my TVs won't come on but it is getting power ??? 🤔 IDK what's wrong.
Great - they were quicker getting that back on than we thought. After the amount of damage that happened they did well!! We never watch TV anyway. They only put on a load of rubbish just lately.
We listen to radio and use Youtube for the news - mostly Tousi TV (we are the media) which is excellent!!

Great - they were quicker getting that back on than we thought. After the amount of damage that happened they did well!! We never watch TV anyway. They only put on a load of rubbish just lately.
We listen to radio and use Youtube for the news - mostly Tousi TV (we are the media) which is excellent!!
I have to watch "Gardeners World" and "How to be a Gardener" and "The Autistic Gardener" all from you guys in the UK or my day is just not "right". 😋

We got a Hurricane Watch alert sent to our phones today 🙄🙄🙄

Unfortunately, the same area that brought the first hurricane of the 2024 Atlantic season, has spawned another one...Milton.

My weather forecaster predicts:

"Most of our best modeling guidance, including hurricane specific models such as the HWRF and HAFS, brings the storm to the western coast of Florida, near the Tampa Bay region, very late on Tuesday night or Wednesday.

In terms of intensity, there is a broad range of outcomes. The National Hurricane Center predicts a major, Category 3 hurricane at landfall on Wednesday. However, an even more powerful storm is possible given that the Gulf of Mexico is very warm, with deep oceanic heat content, and wind shear levels unlikely to disrupt Milton’s organization. Unfortunately, this is a setup for the development of a large and powerful hurricane."

Bad news for western Florida.

Unfortunately, the same area that brought the first hurricane of the 2024 Atlantic season, has spawned another one...Milton.

My weather forecaster predicts:

"Most of our best modeling guidance, including hurricane specific models such as the HWRF and HAFS, brings the storm to the western coast of Florida, near the Tampa Bay region, very late on Tuesday night or Wednesday.

In terms of intensity, there is a broad range of outcomes. The National Hurricane Center predicts a major, Category 3 hurricane at landfall on Wednesday. However, an even more powerful storm is possible given that the Gulf of Mexico is very warm, with deep oceanic heat content, and wind shear levels unlikely to disrupt Milton’s organization. Unfortunately, this is a setup for the development of a large and powerful hurricane."

Bad news for western Florida.
I've been watching this lot on a youtube channel. I loathe the strong winds, and am glad we don't have an actual hurricane season as such here.
I remember chatting to a lady on another forum who lived at the base of a volcano, and asked her why she stayed there - she seemed amused at my question, and just said - oh, we just get used to it.

..asked her why she stayed there - she seemed amused at my question, and just said - oh, we just get used to it.
@Tetters, I can appreciate that answer...The thing about Hurricanes is that sometimes (often) they do the worst damage far inland where you just would not expect damage. This last one, for example, was a killer storm wiping out entire communities over 400 miles inland in Tennessee and North Carolina. There aren't many places in the Continental USA that are beyond their reach.

Imagine a family that evacuated the Florida coast and drove hundreds of miles to get away from it and then find themselves right in the worst part after all. It happened. It has happened to me.

You can not necessarily go by the storm's strength either. The most damaging Hurricane I've ever seen was actually barely a tropical storm not even Cat 1. Harvey dropped 48 inches of rain in 24 hours officially measured within 5 miles of me. Unbelievable. I would not have believed it, if I hadn't actually experienced it.

I could tell stories for hours about Hurricanes...but suffice to say everyone should pay attention to them...unless you are in Alaska or perhaps UK. :) :)

Back