From the Veggie Garden Today

I agree, and they do say that if you eat them with the skin still attached it helps with the indigestion, but still we don't grow them. 😮‍💨
You may wish us luck with the latest planting of the beans!
Skin attached? I always thought peeling them reduced the strong cucumber taste.

Good luck on beans and we can compare notes with the two bean plants I have that are refugees from the UK.

Pink eye purple hull peas on the menu today.

These are the best eating peas amongst all the many varieties...but of course taste is an individual thing. The peas are a main- stay garden soil replenisher for me as I usually only pick a few for eating and shred the rest enabling successive generations of peas to enrich the soil.

View attachment 625
I have been puzzled about these, and so decided to ask you. They look like beans to me not peas. Peas are round, and beans are ...well, bean shaped. Yes, thanks @Zigs, kidney shaped! 🥴 ???
1718920302978.webp

Well I can't help it really if you American people can't tell your peas from your beans can I now? Don't you have any normal round peas like my picture (that I pinched)..... here's another one..1718921423508.webp

Normal round peas, aka cow peas, aka field peas...

peas old fashioned.JPGpinkeye.JPG

We freeze multi-gallons of these every year and eat through fall/winter.
..absolutely delicious

Now beans, that's another story. Below see the beans we grow for shelling...pintos great re-fried and in soups, bingo terrific in Italian fare, and Navy (cannelli) which make great lunches especially in winter. We also freeze gallons of these each summer.
pintos shelled.JPGBingos in bowl 2019.JPGbeans 2021.JPG

I also grow these sometimes...an American speciality...gober peas. Check it out.

I just call it showing off - and I'm not jealous........much 😜 and, although I was always a fan of Burl Ives, I have never heard that song before. Aaargh, my life has clearly been void in the knowledge of the diversity regarding the people of your country with all their peculiarities. I think I'll go forth and pull weeds 😞

We are still picking boat loads of squash and cucumbers. Plants still all looking like they're not ready to quit any time soon despite the temps being up into triple digits.

Here's a look at today's haul...and yes, we did harvest yesterday...😳

PXL_20240624_002314407.MP.webp

We are still picking boat loads of squash and cucumbers. Plants still all looking like they're not ready to quit any time soon despite the temps being up into triple digits.

Here's a look at today's haul...and yes, we did harvest yesterday...😳

View attachment 699
I thought you were a beginner Mike :unsure: all this stuff is beginning to make me think you've moved up a notch!!

I thought you were a beginner Mike :unsure: all this stuff is beginning to make me think you've moved up a notch!!

This is the 2nd garden I've put in ever and most of the stuff we're growing I've never grown before. So, not an absolute beginner, but definitely not much experience either. I attribute it all to the advice I've gotten here and a few answered prayers.

Things, except okra and cover crops, are slowing down in the garden...corn is finished thanks to the squirrels, tomatoes slowing down tomatillos slowing down and peppers just surviving. My third planting of cucumbers is just now coming on and sweet potatoes are thriving. @Zigs two bean plants are thriving...they seem to like Texas.

late season corn.webp

Its blackberry time in the heat wave. Picking over a gallon a week now and I expect production will fall off some but pick back up in the fall.

Description: The Prime-Arkansas thornless, upright canes fruit is large, firm, and sweet. Disease-resistant to rust. Everbearing primocane.

The birds get a share but usually leave some for us:

There's something it hadn't occurred to me to plant yet. Been a long time since I've even eaten a blackberry.

Its blackberry time in the heat wave. Picking over a gallon a week now and I expect production will fall off some but pick back up in the fall.

Description: The Prime-Arkansas thornless, upright canes fruit is large, firm, and sweet. Disease-resistant to rust. Everbearing primocane.

Is that a late blackberry? I've been picking for a month now with the Arapaho variety and a few weeks with the Navajo variety. I would have thought you were picking them way before me.

Back