From the Veggie Garden Today

I so wish I would've planted corn now! Yours looks really good! I won't make the mistake of not planting any next year!

Here's a look at today's harvest. Just a few squash. They're starting to slow down now cause of the heat, I guess, but I'm betting on us getting at least another few bags I to the freezer before they're completely done.

Also, a lot of cucumbers. We'll be making pickles again Monday. We're getting around 10, or so, a day right now and a few plants we put in late haven't even started producing yet.

Also dug up a potato plant so we could have some mashed potatoes with our steaks tomorrow for father's day.

View attachment 621
What variety of bumpy squash is that?

What variety of bumpy squash is that?
Honestly, I don't know the variety of anything we have in our garden. My mom and youngest son picked all this up at the local greenhouse and all the tags have long since blown away or gotten lost.
Do you not have time to plant corn this year? I could.
No clue. I automatically assume it's too late to plant anything now that the temps are regularly over 100F now.

Pink eye purple hull peas on the menu today.

These are the best eating peas amongst all the many varieties...but of course taste is an individual thing. The peas are a main- stay garden soil replenisher for me as I usually only pick a few for eating and shred the rest enabling successive generations of peas to enrich the soil.

pink eye purple hull.webp

Today's harvest... evidently we missed a few cucumbers yesterday. Today they're almost too big, but I bet they'll still eat as a pickle.

Few more squash for the ol' freezer too.

Oh, and our first zucchini of the year from our drip system plants.

PXL_20240616_201919474.MP.webp

You're still producing squash!! Excellent.

Yeah, and still quite a few on the vines. The plants still look great! I took a few photos just now but they're too big for the server to process. I'll have to get that fixed soon so I'll upload a few photos of those later.

Here are a few of the squash plants, taken about an hour ago. There is one that doesn't look as healthy as these but other than that one, the rest are about like this first one. The second one is our next worst one.

PXL_20240616_202653624.MP.webp

PXL_20240616_202718412.MP.webp

Got some of them in today...

DSC05035.webp

DSC05036.webp

We're still getting bad slug damage so I've smeared Petroleum Jelly on the bean poles and stems of the beans to hopefully keep them off.

Do the English grow the English Cucumber?

English cucumbers, Cucumis sativus, were bred to create a cucumber without some of the more undesirable characteristics that this vegetable has, i.e. a tough outer skin, large seeds, curled ends, and a bitter taste. Here in USA markets it is generally packaged individually in shrink wrap because the skin is delicate and easily damaged. Plus, I suspect they charge more for them when wrapped that way.

The English cucumber is long, thin, and straight. It can be twice the length of a regular slicing cucumber; a typical English cucumber in USA markets is around 14 inches long. However, I like to harvest them before they get those lengths and they are totally free of any bitterness, straight as string, and very tiny seeds and thin skin. I find they keep very well.

How about it...do the English grow them?

English Cucumbers.webp

1718872843152.webpI pinched a copy of this photo of the English cucumber. We don't bother to grow these, as they give both of us indigestion.

I agree, and they do say that if you eat them with the skin still attached it helps with the indigestion, but still we don't grow them. 😮‍💨
You may wish us luck with the latest planting of the beans! I have some in the potting shed too - it's got a transparent roof to let some light in. We have to net up the windows to keep all the ruddy neighbours cats out.

Last edited:
Back