From the Veggie Garden Today

Here's a look at yesterday's haul. Several more pickling cucumbers, quite a few tomatoes, a few jalapenos, and a lone yellow squash.

IMG_20240709_070736.webp

As an aside, we also have 13 cantaloupe on the vine and four watermelon. I'm not sure how long they take to ripen, but I expect the cantaloupe won't be much longer as they're already starting to turn from green to brown. I'm gonna have to research today to find out how to tell when a cantaloupe is ready to be harvested.

Just when we thought the okra wasn't gonna produce! A few of these went too far, but we'll still try em. Anyone know if they'll still be good to eat? They're huge!

Anyways, also got more tomatoes and more cucumbers. Again, another solo yellow squash. These plants aren't ready to give up yet, but they're definitely on life support!

PXL_20240710_014700220.MP.webp

Looking good.
You do the single stem method?
What variety is that?

By the way I have 2 green things sticking up in my parsnip container. Probably Johnson grass.

Ta YumYum :)

Those ones are meant to be cordons but I got a bit behind with pruning :eek:

DSC05379.webp

I think they were Cocktail Crush or something similar. We've got some Romas and a few others on the go. They're all very late this year, just hasn't warmed up at all.

I didn't get a photo last night, unfortunately, but the okra is coming off quick now. We're getting a nice little mess every day and will be able to put some up in the freezer soon, assuming it keeps going like it is.

We also got a ton of cucumbers again. I think the plan now is to let them go so we can get some large cucumbers off the vine to use as seed next year. Then I'll probably go out and chop all the vines up, wait for them to dry out, then till them into the ground and get something else going there until it's time to plant something else again.

We're still getting quite a few tomatoes too and I'm positive we'll have watermelon within the next few days! The cantaloupe kinda seem to have stalled out on us. The plants look fine but the fruits are just kinda not changing at all right now. Hopefully that'll change soon because I was thinking we had a few that were almost ready to harvest!

Also, the squash is finally done. I'll be chopping those plants into the garden soon too.

Picked the first few tomatoes today :)

DSC05511.webp

Beans are starting to get away from the slugs at last

DSC05512.webp

And a tiny Courgette is forming

DSC05513.webp

Talk about a slow start, it's nearly August :eek:

Nice! Ours have long quit producing and have been pulled up. In a few weeks we'll start putting more in the ground for the fall. I'm looking forward to that! It'll be our first time having everything in the garden under drip irrigation.

Only just got ours going Mike :eek: Put 2 more plants out last week, so far the slugs have only had a few leaves off.

They are as difficult as carrots to germinate for me.
I haven't tried parsnips yet, though I do like eating them and plan on growing them in future.

Carrots are hard for me too !!
I had a dozen come up last year but they were from seed that I'd planted... wait for it.....
the year before !! I have no idea how that happened !! They came up after I'd planted and removed a cover crop of peas !! 😕 Go figure.

Back