From the Veggie Garden Today

A look at today's harvest. We dug up one potato plant to see what was going on underground. Looks like they could use a little more time but they're doing good. Also harvested the last of our radishes for the year. Our broccoli plants are starting to put off a few florets on the stems so we cut a few of those off. None of those will make it far... probably just a quick cut, rinse, and eat on all those. A few more pickling cucumbers that just got sliced up and put into a bowl of buttermilk. That'll probably be my dinner tonight.

View attachment 420
are those red Pontiac pots?

Anyone string their home grown garden garlic?

I find it is the best way in my climate to insure a supply from one growing season to the next.

First, I pull the bulbs when ready and let them dry in a shed for 1-2 weeks. This step is essential to assure good flavor.

garlic 2024.webp

After they are well dried, I remove the tops and most of the roots and then run a string through the top. After you get about a dozen or two they can then be hung in a covered but open to air circulation where they will last easily until the next growing season.

Home grown garlic is spectacular...if you like garlic...

string garlic.webp

I didn't get any photos last night but we pulled off about 7 yellow squash and the okra is starting to explode. I'm guessing we'll be making some pickled okra next week. I'll try to get some pictures of everything (that we didn't eat last night) this evening.

Id share me vegetables with you guys but your all just a wee bit out of range. Arapaho blackberries are just about to start coming in 🤗. They are an early variety. I could pull some carrots and green onions and a few bulbing onions but that is all I have ready at this point.

I will remember how to get picks on here 1 day.

Dinner last night- Green Cabbage, Black Beauty Zucchini, yellow squash, Jalapeno, Spring Onions all from the garden. Water Chesnuts and shrimp all cooked up in a stirfry with sesame oil. I seared the cabbage and squashes on a flat top grill to get a good char. good eating

First corn of 2024, but certainly not the last. Honey select triple sweet variety...probably could have left to ripen a couple more days but the anticipation won out. We will be eating fresh garden corn now almost every day through most of July and together with tomatoes, okra, onions, beans, etc. the meals are going to be spectacular.

Two types of okra shown...jambalaya(long and skinny pods) and beck's big buck snapping okra. The Beck's is a German Heirloom originally from Malcom Beck of San Antonio, TX but seeds came to me from @Chuck a few years ago. Both are excellent eating okra with the jambalaya the best producer here and best edible fruits up to a larger size. Both will grow to vigorous 7-8 ft producing edible pods all through to Sept. .

first corn 2024.webp

Here's today's haul. I didn't get a picture of yesterday but it was all about the same. Quite a few squash and pickling cucumbers. We'll be making some pickles this week if imagine. Probably another dozen or so will be ready tomorrow. We also got our first straight 8 of the year yesterday, too. Harvested our first cauliflower...not sure why it's got a yellow/brownish tint to it (I'll start another thread about that soon), and our last cabbage.

PXL_20240609_005000579.MP.webp

How about a long running thread to capture the pickings from your garden today? Just post 'em up with or without commentary.

I'll start with tomatoes, blue lake green beans, Sarpa Mira potatoes, Tex super sweet onions:

View attachment 230

@Mike: request to make this a sticky thread please.
I love this idea. Beautiful
How about a long running thread to capture the pickings from your garden today? Just post 'em up with or without commentary.

I'll start with tomatoes, blue lake green beans, Sarpa Mira potatoes, Tex super sweet onions:

View attachment 230

@Mike: request to make this a sticky thread please.
I love this idea! That's a beautiful spread of veggies.❤️

Back