What's happening in your garden today?

Meanwhile, on the veggie garden front, the fall veggies here are struggling through unseasonable torrid heat and drought Anything we get by way of harvest this fall will be really earned as these are tough conditions even for Texas. It is tempting to just take off the season when facing these conditions but things can change quickly and that's what I'm hoping for.

Potatoes(companion planted with peas), cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, radish, turnips, celery, lettuce, Swiss chard, turnips, etc. all in the struggle to survive 99 deg F highs..

Record setting temps for us for this time of year.

fall 2024 garden.webp

Meanwhile, on the veggie garden front, the fall veggies here are struggling through unseasonable torrid heat and drought Anything we get by way of harvest this fall will be really earned as these are tough conditions even for Texas. It is tempting to just take off the season when facing these conditions but things can change quickly and that's what I'm hoping for.

Potatoes(companion planted with peas), cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, radish, turnips, celery, lettuce, Swiss chard, turnips, etc. all in the struggle to survive 99 deg F highs..

View attachment 1595
They're all looking really good dedpite the heat !! 👍

View attachment 1595
When did the celery go in? I'd love to hear how that has been doing. Do you find that it needs special attention? - please tell.

When did the celery go in? I'd love to hear how that has been doing. Do you find that it needs special attention? - please tell.
Thanks for the questions.

Celery started from seed indoors in AC back in August and transplanted late September...but I probably should have waited to transplant a few more weeks because the heat has definitely taken a toll on the young plants. It does not like our climate here. To give it the best chance of success, I'm growing it in an HK container and trying to give it every attention.

I also recently started some Celeriac from seed and I'm expecting about the same result as I've had over the years with celery...crop failure.

The celery...
celery 2024.webp

The Celeriac...

celerick.webp

@Zigs ... I like to try a new veggie every year...and the celeriac is my token new for this year.

Last year I grew the Mizuna you wrote about as my new veggie and it was excellent...alas, I forgot to order some seeds for them this year but I may try anyway if Amazon can get some seeds here quick.

I've grown it before when I lived in Dorset by the sea and it did ok there. Might just have been a bad summer.

Glad you liked the Mizuna :) I've planted some out and have sown another tray in the polytunnel along with another sowing of Wong Bok.

Changed the PIR security light on the front of the shed. The old one "died."
Bought one from Argos for £13.50. It was the same as the replacement I bought for the front of the house a month ago, which cost £18,.
You don't get a lamp with them, but I had a couple of spares.
Setting them up is a pain with controls for time, sensitivity and night and day,
The instruction illustrations of the controls were so small, I had to use a magnifying glass to read them. You have to set how dark you want it to be, when they will be activated, so you have to go out into the garden and set them at that time.

Back