Weather..

2.9 inches of rain since July 2nd, and one of the hottest Summers in my County. Yet I have no right to complain while so many people lost everything they own. So my lawn is dry...big deal

Oh yes. We were only 5 days without but that was enough to cause me to empty my fridge/ freezer into the trash and give it a good scrub !! 😄 I was in Helene. The last one was Milton and it hit a few hundred miles south of here, thank god.
Maybe you could invest in a generator to keep the freezer going if you have power cuts. It's good to have a back up. We got one recently - big enough for a freezer at least. Wasting food is awful isn't it.

Maybe you could invest in a generator to keep the freezer going if you have power cuts. It's good to have a back up. We got one recently - big enough for a freezer at least. Wasting food is awful isn't it.
I should've gotten a gas stove that runs off propane, then I could've cooked up the meat and not lost quite as much.

Saved my pickles, though.

99 deg. F yesterday and expected again today. Smashed all previous records. Fall gardening has been very difficult under these conditions which also has excluded any rain for weeks.
That is weird !! I've had unseasonably cool weather this year from a cold front coming in right after hurricane Milton hit the Atlantic. The jet stream has changed drastically from what it used to be. My lows are now in the 50's with a high of 80-81. Very pleasant outside.

99 deg. F yesterday and expected again today. Smashed all previous records. Fall gardening has been very difficult under these conditions which also has excluded any rain for weeks.
Did you collect and tank the rainfall when you had it recently in copious amounts? We have tanks and water butts in every available spot. We were thinking of installing a high tank with a pump to increase the pressure when needed.

Did you collect and tank the rainfall when you had it recently in copious amounts? ...
Yes, collected all I could...about 300 gallons. Down to about 20 gallons of rainwater...rainwater that I definitely prefer over well water especially working with seedlings and transplants.

I don't have any pressure system although that would be nice. I just carry it in buckets to where I need it...good exercise.

don't have any pressure system although that would be nice. I just carry it in buckets to where I need it...good exercise.
Oh come on, you're getting on a bit now - just a 40 gallon tank, a high platform and a pump is all you need. Most of the bush properties I saw a hundred years ago in Australia had them. You need to look after your back ;)

Back