Weather..

The storm that ripped through Houston, Tx last Thursday killing 7 people has now been officially classified as a derecho...by definition a widespread, long-lived windstorm associated with clusters of severe thunderstorms.

Typically, they travel over 400 miles and reach wind speeds that can exceed 100mph. The winds are straight line as opposed to tornados with rotating winds. At my house, about 100 miles from the primary zone, we were hit with very high straight-line winds but nothing like downtown Houston.

That storm still has left about 1 million people without power. Parts of the grid were destroyed, and rebuilding that takes time.

I can only remember one other such weather event in my lifetime...a freak derecho that hit our area back in 1989 "this derecho traveled 900 miles in 15 hours. Most of its track and the most intense damage occurred over northern and eastern Texas. It began in the semi-arid region of the northwest Texas Panhandle and surged southeast at a speed greater than 60 mph for 700 miles before reaching the densely forested region of southeast Texas about 11 hours later. Many thousands of Texans were affected by this intense derecho, and many still remember it as "The Great Storm of 1989."

It hit without warning capsizing several boats on our local lake.

If you are interested in weather read about derechos... an awesome display of Nature's power.

You are getting it lately, with rain and now wind, Meadowlark. Gentle rain here this morning, could do with a bit more to fill my new water saving system from the greenhouse roof, at least the glass sheds everything, the concrete tiles on the house roof take considerable wetting before there is any run off.

There are 5-6 mature trees mostly big red cedars tied up in this mangled mess that resulted in moving my bridge out of place by about three feet.

View attachment 110
It turned out more like 7-8 mature trees with one huge stump that I had to cut into pieces. Also, one culvert completely washed out to a downstream location. Several pushes with my small bull dozer were required to restore some "normalcy".

The only thing saving this bridge from complete destruction were the tie-offs I placed going back to well established trees. Hopefully, that's it until hurricane season.

bridge after.webp

We've been promised a lot of rain for the last few days but have seen very little. Today has been covered in grey cloud with an occasional short, light shower. 14C/57F