Tetters Flower Gardens

• Thread starter Thread starter Zigs
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
Thanks Zigs 😘
These are photos I took the day before yesterday before we cut the grass. The first picture is one of the roses that bloomed early. It's a beauty, and it's scented, and I can't remember the name at the moment.
Next is the long bed, which is the first one I dug out before I had my heart attack - that was a couple of years ago and it set me back a bit. The grass started to grow back in there, and it was this that made me work hard to get better enough to sort it out. That took 7 visits to the hospital for multiple stents to be fitted, which wasn't much fun.
I got back to the garden last year, and with a fair bit of help and lots of determination had the beds all shaping up with mulch added to help it stay slightly more weed free.
The third picture is of the third bed I dug out, which was primarily white and pink flowers. I'm afraid this one is still in a mess and needs a considerable amount of weeding.
Picture 4 is the second bed I dug, and I'm slowly working on getting that in shape. There's still a fair bit to do, and Zigs brings some more mulch over whenever I get another patch sorted. The last picture is the more untidy bit of the first long bed.
This lot was just getting straight last year when I had the stroke, which put me back again, so I'm only just really trying to get back into it again.
I felt miserable and negative when I couldn't get out there, but much much better now with every extra bit I can fit in. This is the best therapy possible for anyone who feels down in the dumps. It lifts the spirits to grow flowers. I know we can't eat them like the crops you veggie growers work on, but they sure have their place. It's full of bees too.

Those are globe artichokes. The flowers of course are mauve not pink, but never mind, a bit of deviation from a colour scheme is sometimes necessary. There is some rhubarb hiding somewhere in the weeds at the back of this bed. I mix herbs in with the flowers too, and the occasional onion that bolts. The bees like all the diversity.

These flower beds are beautiful! I'll be showing my mom these when I get back home. I expect she'll want to put a few of these in around her house. I especially love those purple flowers. What are those? They look a bit like dandelions, but I've never seen purple dandelions before. The wife loves them, and I'm sure mom will too!

Those are chives Mike. I grow them among the flowers, and chop some for the kitchen, and leave the rest to bloom, then when they have done their flowering, I cut them right down to the bottom and they start growing all over again. One of the most rewarding jobs in the garden is pruning - funnily enough it's something that new gardeners are often scared of. Zigs gives me any onions etc that are bolting to add to my flowers, It's a good place to go then for next years free seeds!
I found three parsnips in a big pot yesterday - wilting and looking very dry and sorry for themselves. They went woody and got left behind. Now they have been watered and are nicely perked up all ready to flower :giggle:

Last edited:
Oh, wow! I never knew chives grew flowers, although I've never grown any so I wouldn't have a reason to. This would be a fantastic addition to mom's flower garden then, assuming she wants to do one. I'm sure she will because right now she just has hundreds of flowers in the back yard, all in different flower pots.

You have to have flowers before you get seeds. Even grass has flowers. Some plants have flowers that are barely noticeable, but they are still there 😊
Check out the flower underneath a catkin for example. That little red dot, sitting under each catkin waiting to do its bit - nature is a wonderful thing ! 1716062320180.webp

I want to grow chives! My biggest hope is to get ahold of some real giant allium - my mom has a picture of me as a toddler holding one that's as big as my head, and I want to recreate the shot with my daughter :) Also, @Tetters if you do find the name of that rose, please please tell me! Another hope is to have at least one rose in every primary shade I can get; I've got two red and a light pink at the moment.

I want to grow chives! My biggest hope is to get ahold of some real giant allium - my mom has a picture of me as a toddler holding one that's as big as my head, and I want to recreate the shot with my daughter :) Also, @Tetters if you do find the name of that rose, please please tell me! Another hope is to have at least one rose in every primary shade I can get; I've got two red and a light pink at the moment.
I didn't find that label yet, and haven't been out to look properly as the weather is horrible, but I think that Sheal might well be correct with 'Peace' 1716321384191.webp this is a picture of 'Peace'
I promise I'll remember to hunt the label as soon as the sun comes out - I've even written a reminder note for myself ☺️

There's a lovely story about the 'Peace' rose...

Careful with chives, I left a stone out of the patio for mine, and let them run to seed. The next year there were chives coming out of every crack in the paving and beyond. Most of my herbs have come from the supermarket since they started selling them 'live'. Bought some thyme that was a whole bunch of young plants, carefully separated I got about 15 or 20 plants out of it. They do all sorts, usually looking like they were grown quickly under lights, give them a bit of soil and sun though and they soon solid up into nice little plants, and a lot cheaper than at garden centres.

My chives get the ''nearly dead'' flowers chopped as soon as they go over. It stops the self seeding and strengthens the plants at the same time. :)

I didn't find that label yet, and haven't been out to look properly as the weather is horrible, but I think that Sheal might well be correct with 'Peace' View attachment 174 this is a picture of 'Peace'
I promise I'll remember to hunt the label as soon as the sun comes out - I've even written a reminder note for myself ☺️
We went to look for that label, but it was missing, sorry. Zigs took another snap of the rose, and will post it in a minute for me. Looking again, we just can't be certain.

Last edited:
Back