Wildlife

A good hatch usually lasts about 4 weeks. This convergence of the 13-year cycle and the 17-year cycle is a very rare event.

I grew up in the Ozarks and that video is spot on. This noise is amazing...but strangely you get used to it and it just becomes background...or you go mad!! :eek: . East Texas is too hot or something for them.

We heard this racket when we lived in the bush in Australia. The beetles can get so loud you can't hear yourself think, but it only seemed really bad for a few weeks, and it's true that you do get used to it. There were many many creatures in the Antipodes that needed getting used to.

However, we do have more than our share of woodpeckers here in the Big Thicket wildlife preserve. Pileated woodpeckers are fairly common and often mistaken for the Ivory-billed woodpecker which many believe is extinct. Personally, I do not believe it is extinct but that is a different rabbit trail. I don't have the cameras for it but will get a shot of the pileated woodpecker if I can. They are huge, beautiful birds.

I saw this gigantic bird flying overhead and it landed on a tree way above. My one and only time seeing this woodpecker. I've talked to a couple bird/nature photographers (the ones with the expensive equipment) and neither has spotted one of these, so I would say they're not at all common in this region.

piliated_woodpecker_1a_032722.webp

In Britain we know it as a Bridge camera and has a prime lens. I couldn't afford a telephoto lens for my DSLR so bought this to fill the gap some years ago. It can take scenery shots up to 50 miles distant. It 'bridges' the gap between the two. It's only drawback is an electronic viewfinder which is slow to adjust - frustrating when trying to photograph anything moving at speed. I prefer to use the screen now as I'm aging, it's easier on the eyes
The woodpecker shot above was taken with a bridge camera, the Sony RX-10 IV.

I took the attached photo with it a couple of years ago, and honestly, I'm still stunned that I did.
rt_hawk_011422_23.webp

I saw this gigantic bird flying overhead and it landed on a tree way above. My one and only time seeing this woodpecker. I've talked to a couple bird/nature photographers (the ones with the expensive equipment) and neither has spotted one of these, so I would say they're not at all common in this region.

View attachment 462
That is a good picture of the pileated woodpecker...one of my favorite birds. Well done.:)

Back