Sandy garden...

Your gardens are exceptionally neat and tidy Sandy. Mine are much more willy nilly, and nowhere near as orderly.
You must spend hours and hours just on the grass cutting, and it's very precise, without a blade seemingly out of place, and I can't see a weed anywhere.
It was suggested to me once by a well meaning chap, that I might be better off as I'm growing older (much older and a bit doddery) that I should block plant the beds with the same variety and species, and that it would be easier - but I've never been persuaded that I could manage to do this, as I need my jumbled mix (or mess in the eyes of some)

@Tetters thank you. The grass is does not take as much time as would be expected. Despite the complexity of the garden, it takes about 35 minutes to mow. Then of course, theres the edging. I went to a lawn seminar (lecture) some years ago, and got a lot of tips there as to what to do, and what not to do. I'm not saying that I am by any stretch of the imagination an expert, but do have a tendency to do things differently to most.

Of all of my flowerborders, only one has just a single plant in it. All the rest have several. That speads out the colour for longer. Here is an example of one of my borders. Its a little over 12 months old. Its only my opinion, and others would not agree, but I do think that it would not look good if only a single plant was in it.

IMG_1187.webp

I do admit, I do spend a lot of time in the garden. Thinking back to the pandemic, even if we did not have a lockdown here - they are against our constitution, and therefore illegal - it did mean that I could always keep myself busy and not get bored. Theres a lot to be said for living in a rural area.

@Tetters the shortened version.

The house and gardens were first laid out in 1906. For years, the place made a noce profit. Then, starting somewhere around the mid 1980's, it fell into economic difficulties, fell into disrepair, and was declared bankrupt. As I understand things, the purchasers planned to demolish it, and build high end, therefore expensive housing.

There were a lot of protests which seemed to come to nothing. Then, it was discovered that an endagered lizard (Lacerta agilis?) crossed the area to its breeding ground. If the houses were built, that would not be possible. Making the species even more endangered. Conservationists, as well as others got involved, things went to court, found in favour of the lizard, and therefore the building plans had to be cancelled!

So, the house and gardens were restored. The last tume I went there was in 2016. By that time the place looked great, and back to its former glory. I enjoyed all aspects of the place, especially the huge knot garden.

If I can dig out some photos, I may just start a topic on it. No promises though!

Great! I've always loved lizards!!! We need a LOT more of them in the UK at the moment 😀 although, I don't think the present set up would be so keen to entertain any kind of wildlife - there are too many ''people'' wanting houses. ☹️

Back