Sandy garden...

Remaining in the peony garden, a couple of detail photos. First, my favorite peony, "Barzella."

IMG_0997.webp

Behind some of the other peonues, and against the wall of the TS, some Hollyhocks were planted...

IMG_1135.webp

In my opinion, the colour of the blooms nicely contrasts with the wall. As a bit of trivia.Over in Denmark, there are quite a dew older villages. Its very common for houses in these villages to be built up close to the path (sidewalk in the US) and therefore have no front garden. Sometines it seems that virtually every dwelling has Hollyhocks on either side of the entrance. At the right time of year, they certainly do liven the street up!

Moving on, we arrive in the area I call the "Fruit Garden." In total, I grow 10 edibles. Of these, 8 are grown due to the fact that they are liked, but impossible to find in the shops. The other two are rhubarb and strawberries. I'm very protective of the strawberries for the simple reason they are a very old variety! From what I was told recently, the original plants date back to Germany, sometime between 1942 and 1952. No photos of them, so I added a photo of my redcurrants.IMG_1166.webpIMG_1134.webp

This is awesome! Did you get these from family or friends, or did you buy them somewhere?
The plants were in the garden when the house was bought. According to the daughter of the man that built the house, he put them in the ground in Spring, 1952. That was after being moved from the house that they lived in previously. I originally thought that they were a variety that was first marketed here in 1956. Although they do have characteristics of that variety, its clear they cant be.

From what I inderstand, the 1956 variety had its roots in the Germany of 1942. They wanted to breed something that could keep their shape when defrosted after be frozen, and sent to troops fighting on the Eastern front.

Wow! That's awesome, and even more awesome that you know where they originated from. It's pretty impressive that they're still there after all these years so great job on that! I assume they still taste just as good as ever and I certainly don't blame you being protective of them! I would be too!

Love to see a photo of the plants when they're fruiting sometime.

Wow! That's awesome, and even more awesome that you know where they originated from. It's pretty impressive that they're still there after all these years so great job on that! I assume they still taste just as good as ever and I certainly don't blame you being protective of them! I would be too!

Love to see a photo of the plants when they're fruiting sometime.
It will be next year before they fruit again. If I can remember something for longer than a goldfish, I'll take photos and post them.

In regards to taste, they are like strawberries used to be. In my opinion, a lot better than modern varieties. Of course that is not only biased, but subjective. A little story about them...

Strawberries are a big part of the culture here. They are an integral part our Midsummer celebrations. Thats by far the biggest day of the Swedish year. Some years ago, on the day, some were offered to a friend. She covered them with sugar, despite being told it wasnt needed, then complained about the taste. So I said "Try one without sugar!" which she did. Her first comment was "Wow! They are the nicest U've ever tasted!" :-D

@Sandy Ground may I ask how you tackle slugs on your strawberry patch? Among others, we have Gauntlet strawberries. With all the wet weather this summer it's been a constant battle with the slimy, horrible, gobble monsters! By the third year, the berries are only really fit for making jam as they're gradually smaller, so we use the runners for a new crop every couple of years.

Moving on, we arrive in the area I call the "Fruit Garden." In total, I grow 10 edibles. Of these, 8 are grown due to the fact that they are liked, but impossible to find in the shops. The other two are rhubarb and strawberries. I'm very protective of the strawberries for the simple reason they are a very old variety! From what I was told recently, the original plants date back to Germany, sometime between 1942 and 1952. No photos of them, so I added a photo of my redcurrants.View attachment 878View attachment 879
How do you manage to keep these without the birds taking them all? Even in our netted tunnel, the odd blackbird finds a way in to steal the currants :unsure:

@Tetters the only slugs that we have in the garden are what I belive are called Spanish Forest slugs. They dont seem to bother with the strawberries at all for some reason. In regards to birds, they do take the odd one, but usually seem to go for the other fruits, such as the cherries or chokeberries. Its always a race to get the Sea Buckthorn picked before they get at those as well. If needed, I would use netting as you do.

Another look at the Hydrangeas before moving on. Although difficult to see, if this photo and the previous one are compared, it may be noticed that there are not only pink blooms, but blue as well.

IMG_1186.webp

Turning 90 degrees or so from the same spot, is a view that for some reason, I like. Things have been pruned and tidied sonce the photo was taken.IMG_1164.webp

From the part of the garden shown in the previous photos is a little path...

IMG_1189.webp

Normally, its a lot more colourful at this time of year. Behind the lavender on the left is a drift of pink Phlox. Behind those to the right are Buddleja. For some reason, both of these are only just coming into bloom. At the end of this path, the garden to the front of the house is reached...

IMG_1190.webp

Being long and narrow, its a difficult area to pgotograph, Apologies for the poor photo!

Righto @Sandy Ground !! I have invited @DrCase to come and help me with my garden here in Kent. Now I've decided that you may come along as well, and pitch in here to turn my place into a similar paradise. Bring some of those Peonies with you too if you don;t mind. Between you, this will be the envy of our village 😁

Righto @Sandy Ground !! I have invited @DrCase to come and help me with my garden here in Kent. Now I've decided that you may come along as well, and pitch in here to turn my place into a similar paradise. Bring some of those Peonies with you too if you don;t mind. Between you, this will be the envy of our village 😁

No objections whatsoever to visiting Kent again for two reasons. First, I nearly bought a place there a number of years ago, and second, I hear that there are a lot of rubber boats going cheap! (laughing).

Back to the garden, peonies can be notoriously difficult to grow, but if you do get some, I'd be happy to give tips and advice.

Your gardens are exceptionally neat and tidy Sandy. Mine are much more willy nilly, and nowhere near as orderly.
You must spend hours and hours just on the grass cutting, and it's very precise, without a blade seemingly out of place, and I can't see a weed anywhere.
It was suggested to me once by a well meaning chap, that I might be better off as I'm growing older (much older and a bit doddery) that I should block plant the beds with the same variety and species, and that it would be easier - but I've never been persuaded that I could manage to do this, as I need my jumbled mix (or mess in the eyes of some)

Back