From the Veggie Garden Today

@Mike: request to make this a sticky thread please.

Done, and great idea for a thread! I'll post all our latest pickings here. We've gotten a few squash off already and plenty more coming. Have some onions ready to eat and a TON of potatoes will be ready to dig in a few weeks. Oh, broccoli coming soon too!

What variety of strawberries are those? Those look great!

Ta Mike :)

We don't know the variety of these ones. We grew them on from plants gathered up from round the garden and planted into the netted tunnel. Tetters did get some Red Gauntlets but they haven't started cropping propperly yet.

I'm fairly sure these are the gauntlets. An old variety that I remembered from about 50 years ago. They are very sweet, no sugar needed !!
🤔 Zigs is equally sure they're not though - it's all so confusing, I need a lie down.

Not saying they aren't, just that if they are they're not the Gauntlets we planted 😁

I've grown some things before but many things this year is the first time. Broccoli is one of those things I've never grown before. Looking forward to eating one of these soon!

So we got all yesterday's broccoli in the freezer. I harvested another one today which we're going to eat tonight with some chicken and rice. Also got a few tomatoes (first of the year) and another squash, both of which will be eaten tonight.

PXL_20240527_220528069.MP.webp

Word of warning Mike, bit later in the year check the broccoli stems for catterpillars, they curl themselves up in the stalks and are the same colour as the broccoli when cooked :eek:

Back