Watermelon help

Yespat

Hardiness zone
7a
I planted a watermelon plant late, around early July and it has many long vines. There are multiple flowers and a few baby melons. My question is, since it is so late in the season, would it be best to remove all but one of those long vines so the plant can put all of its energy into one? Thanks for your help.

Solution
Welcome @Yespat. I see you are located in 7a so you don't have a lot of time left for them to mature.

The vines through the leaves contribute significantly to the plant's well being and thus I would NOT recommend removing vines. It will not speed up the ripening process and very likely will detract significantly from the health of the plant.

You can increase the size of some melons by pruning smaller or less healthy individual melons. This allows the plant to focus its energy on developing fewer but larger and healthier fruits. However, this practice will not speed up ripening and in fact seems likely to delay it while the individual melons remaining grow larger.

Depending on the variety you selected, the days to maturity can...
Welcome @Yespat. I see you are located in 7a so you don't have a lot of time left for them to mature.

The vines through the leaves contribute significantly to the plant's well being and thus I would NOT recommend removing vines. It will not speed up the ripening process and very likely will detract significantly from the health of the plant.

You can increase the size of some melons by pruning smaller or less healthy individual melons. This allows the plant to focus its energy on developing fewer but larger and healthier fruits. However, this practice will not speed up ripening and in fact seems likely to delay it while the individual melons remaining grow larger.

Depending on the variety you selected, the days to maturity can range from 70 to about 90 days. So, if planted in early July you are probably looking at early Oct. for maturity. Depending on your first frost date, it looks like you stand a good chance at enjoying some homegrown melons before frost.

Upvote 1
Solution
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I know nothing will speed up ripening so perhaps I must have worded my question poorly. Sorry about that. I was mainly concerned that with all the growth, might my plant have a better chance of producing, particularly if in the short timeframe, if some of the vines be cut off and or if some of the tiny melons be removed. I’m really grateful you said to leave the vines alone. And you did mention increasing the size by pruning off the smaller or less healthy melons. So I’m thinking about removing all but 2 or 3 of the tiny fruits in the hope that the watermelon plant will focus its energy on the remaining watermelon. Does that sound like a good plan to you?
Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Upvote 0
Good question. I planted a seed from my seedless black diamond watermelon I purchased. I did that once before and the resulting melon turned out to have yellow flesh and was full of black smallish seeds. It was still tasty. I’m curious to see what comes from this supposed sterile seed.

Upvote 0
Back