Sandy garden...

Sandy Ground

...a few photos at a time.

As all good gardens need a proper entrance gate, heres a photo of mine, along with the background to it. When I'm on my travels, I normally take photos of garden related things that onterest me. I first built this gate a few years ago, to my own design. Its a combination partially of a typical English Lych Gatr, as well as one I saw in Germany that was built by a "Wanderschaft." I'll explin more about these if asked. Its treated in a tradional Scandinavian way that hs been in uce for over a thousand years! Needless to say, being so old its eco friendly, and lasts! The weathervane on top, also made by me, depicts the regional birds of the area in which I live.

IMG_0276.webp

he inside the garden, to left and right of the gate are two identical borders. One of which is shown here...

IMG_1018.webp

To be continued after comments, if any!

@Mike The hedge is thuja occidentalis, which I'm lead to believe is a kind of Cedar, It surrounds most of the property, and was planted for a couple of reasons. Mainly, to make the garen more private, but also to create a kind of "micro climate" for lack of a better expression.

@Meadowlark Yes the gate is all wood, fully jointed and held together with traditional appearing brackets. I can post a photo of some of these that I made for another project. The wood used is Fir. That was chosen for two main reasons. First, its cheap and easily available locally. Secondly because it had to be something that would be relatively porous in order to soak up the preservative.

That preservative is something called "Roslags mahogny." Sorry, I dont know uf there is another name in the English language! Basically, its a mix of Tree tar (from pine), Balsam Turpentine, and Boiled Linseed Oil. Several coats are needed, and it dries by oxidisation.

@Meadolark If you, or for that matter anyone else decides to use it, make ap ost and if I see it, i'll give a few tips.

Moving on. One of the plants in the border shown in the previous post is known locally as Lion Tail. In bloom, it looks like this...

IMG_1014.webp

In my opinion, quite unusual!

With tha border to my right, heres an overall view of about 25% of the garden. Many of the plants, but my no means all, have only been in place for a little over a year.IMG_0998.webp

I must be a bit slow, and have only just spotted this excellent thread. An ex-neighbour of mine made a weather vane for me a few years ago. It was a witch with a black cat. Unfortunately it became overgrown with Ivy, and has only just recently been tidied up. It was made with aluminium, and not strong enough to hold together. and sadly it has now hit the dust 😞 This, of course makes me a bit envious of your weather vane. Lovely!!

I have grown quite a lot of Phlomis, and found that it can get a bit big and out of hand. It needs a strict cutting back to keep it in order. It also seeds well here.

@Tetters thanks for the kind words.

The Lion Tails (I prefer that name!) were put into this positon earlier on this year, after I moved them from where they were first planted last year. I did suspect that they might self seed. Thanks for confirming that. I didnt know thay they got big though. So more thanks to you.

Moving on...

A grey coloured bench can just be seen on the left side of the previous photo. Close up, it looks like this...

IMG_1151.webp

Its constructed in much the same way as the gate in one of the other photos. Being fully jointed and held together by the black brackets I made means that if any part needs to be changed for some reason, it can be. Its usually called "The Grog Bench" due to the extensions on each side. They are handy to put cups of tea on when its being used. Rowan trees are on either side of it.

At the right time of year, this is one of the views...

IMG_1008.webp

It really does look very nice! My question is, how long does it take to edge the grass around all those spots? :oops:

Thats a very good question! Normally, they wont all be done in the whole garden at the same time. In the area that I've shown so far, probably about a couple of hours, give or take.

Thats a very good question! Normally, they wont all be done in the whole garden at the same time. In the area that I've shown so far, probably about a couple of hours, give or take.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect. I'm learning more and more this year that gardening is such hard work, and very time consuming, but also very rewarding!

@Mike you are correct, it is rewarding. In more ways than can be expected.

As you can guess, I've been gardening for a long time, and I'm still learning more and more as the years go by.

Sandy, I had to search all back through the posts to remember where you are situated. It would be so much easier, and a help to my failing memory if you wouldn't mind putting some more details on your profile. It would make my life much simpler 🥺pretty please.
It was looking at the roses that made me prompt checking. It reminded me so much of England.

Sandy, I had to search all back through the posts to remember where you are situated. It would be so much easier, and a help to my failing memory if you wouldn't mind putting some more details on your profile. It would make my life much simpler 🥺pretty please.
It was looking at the roses that made me prompt checking. It reminded me so much of England.
Location added as requested.

Moving on...

Looking left from the bench in the previous posted photo, this building can be seen...

IMG_1158.webp

As everyone should have a place in the garden to drink tea, its known as the Tea Shed. This prompted the design of the weather vane on the apex.

Walking to the side of the TS, left in the photo, and the Peony grden comes into sight...

IMG_0994.webp

Location added as requested.
Thank you ☺️
Moving on...

Looking left from the bench in the previous posted photo, this building can be seen...

View attachment 828

As everyone should have a place in the garden to drink tea, its known as the Tea Shed. This prompted the design of the weather vane on the apex.

Walking to the side of the TS, left in the photo, and the Peony grden comes into sight...

View attachment 829
Tut! You keep on making me feel envious !!

Back