Orange grasshopper, believe it or not !!

The one you pictured has yellow and black on him. This one was totally orange. Doesn't remind me of a lubber at all.
I haven't seen Lubber grasshoppers on my property at all since I've lived here, but did have then in Florida. They are normally, when young, black with a tip of orangey red then start getting green with black, yellow and a little orange. They get HUGE and you can't miss them if you have them.

I've never seen a totally orange one and I didn't have any big lubbers, or the newly hatched black ones that you see sitting on the tips of the grass in the early morning on the property at all. It seems odd I'd have an orange one but no big adults around.

This orange one was just 1 1/4" long and the only one I found, all the rest of my grasshoppers were the normal,
1 1 /4" long green ones.

Weird !!

I rather think that this little chap was just a nymph. His colours will become more apparent when he is a big boy.🙂
He was too big to be a nymph I think, although, I suppose it's possible, and he looked just like my normal fully grown green ones only he's orange.

Might be a natural variation of the green ones.?

Back