Fungus Pictures

Zigs

Administrator
Hardiness zone
9a
Thought it might be good to start a thread on Mushrooms/Fungus so feel free to add yours.

Some we might be able to identify but others we won't have a clue about, like this one. Keeps coming up on or near our wood chippings, family might be Pezizaceae but there's quite a few of them :rolleyes:

DSC04576.webp

It fascinates me to watch the dead wood deteriorate, and while it's doing that and gradually crumbling away, it is giving life and support to a multitude of other living things. This log pile is a place to look for all kinds of beetles and other insects I've not seen before, and the birds are very happy to park here.

It fascinates me to watch the dead wood deteriorate, and while it's doing that and gradually crumbling away.
I really like the idea of using fungus to get rid of tree stumps and roots after the tree had to be removed. There was a giant maple that had to go in front of my house. The stump was ground out 4 years ago and there are still huge flushes of shelf fungus and other mushrooms each year from the crater where the tree was.

I really like the idea of using fungus to get rid of tree stumps and roots after the tree had to be removed. There was a giant maple that had to go in front of my house. The stump was ground out 4 years ago and there are still huge flushes of shelf fungus and other mushrooms each year from the crater where the tree was.

We use fungus every year to turn 9 bags of leaves into one bag of useable leaf mold :)

DSC02378.webp

DSC02381.webp

We use fungus every year to turn 9 bags of leaves into one bag of useable leaf mold :)
Hmm, I need to look more into this. It may be worth you doing a thread about it.

I have a bunch of leafs but when I half heartedly attempted to do this I just had leaf mush in the spring

I took down a medium-sized tree (it was over 30 years old) in 2018. As a result, I I get mushrooms in my front yard from the tree's roots, which I think are because of the tree's roots. This year, my lawn has a lot of brown spots; I suspect those roots are the culprit. Am I on the right track? I've decided to merely mow my lawn once a week, and it's very, very slowly getting greener.

I took down a medium-sized tree (it was over 30 years old) in 2018. As a result, I I get mushrooms in my front yard from the tree's roots, which I think are because of the tree's roots. This year, my lawn has a lot of brown spots; I suspect those roots are the culprit. Am I on the right track? I've decided to merely mow my lawn once a week, and it's very, very slowly getting greener.

Probably is a mycellium eating the roots of the tree, they'll go once they've run out of nutrient :)

Hey I have those happening here at this moment and some times before. What is it? It is always a ring like that for no apparent reason.

They are caused by the fungus plant (mycelium) that grows under the soil (the mushrooms you sometimes see are only the fruiting body of the plant). The mycelium liberates nutrients in the soil that enables the grass to grow stronger.

I've seen a few Fairy Ring Champignon mushrooms in the field so it's probably that one.

They can also be caused by Fairies dancing in a circle, don't join in with the dance as you'll be forced to dance till you die of exhaustion. Don't step into the ring or you'll become invisible :eek:

Back