Extending the "Other" Growing Season

Meadowlark

Gardeners often talk about extending the growing season by using various methods to protect against killing cold. I've been toying with extending the "other" growing season, i.e. the killing heat that ends the growing season for many cool season varieties.

I can't fully explain why, but I have found Hügelkultur containers can be very effective at extending the "other" growing season. So far this year, I have extended the following cool season veggies into hot weather by several weeks:

Cabbage... 4 weeks
Carrots.... 6 weeks
Broccoli.... 5 weeks

And the latest, red onions, extended by about 6 weeks. I have never been able to grow these past mid-May but in an HK container, they have survived up until now.

I've also observed that some cool season plants can be be started in the killing heat if done so in an HK container. Fall lettuce, all brassicas, radish, etc. have been started from seed in an HK container in early August outside...something I never would have thought possible.

Not World shaking info but something I have found very interesting as well as useful.

red onions late.JPG

Just recently harvested carrots...

corn, green beans, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and okra.JPG

It is interesting to read and research about it. I use my own specialized technique for Hugelkutur container (HK). It arose out of a need to find a way to garden even when the infirmaries of life get the best of you.

Briefly, it goes like this:

1) First, drill some drain holes in your container. I use old cattle tubs which have a volume of 25-30 gallons and good height/depth

materials 2.JPG

2) Next, add the HK material which consists of old, rotted/rotting, decaying hard wood broken into pieces which fill the bottom 1/3 of the container.

layer 1.JPG

This serves several important purposes. It lightens the container considerably vs all garden soil; it saves on the amount of garden soil required; it retains moisture;, it provides plant nutrients as it breaks down, etc, etc.

3) Add the next layer, again 1/3 volume of composted materials. I have used composted leaves, sawdust, cow manure, grass clippings, just about anything that is well composted organic material.

layer 2.JPG

4) the next layer is my own garden soil...again about 1/3 volume or seven or eight inches, leaving some space from the top. My garden soil tests out "No N P K required" and is superior to anything in commercial products...but I digress ;)

That's basically it. These HK containers are much lighter and hence more portable than a container with all soil...but will it grow anything?

Without boring you with all the data (which I have in spreadsheets) here is a summary of an experiment I performed to answer the above question:

Across 38 different vegetables planted in HK containers and duplicated in ground planting, across spring /summer/fall/early winter 2022, a total of 3077 ounces of produce (87,231 grams) was harvested from the HK containers and 1990 ounces (56415 grams) harvested from identical in ground planted veggies. There were no, zero, nada veggies that failed to meet the targeted goal of equal to or greater production ratio of .5.

The production ratio across the entire experiment was 1.6.

Since that experiment, I have continued making and using these containers with great success. I now have about 25 of them in production and more planned. I find new aspects of this all the time that have extended beyond an initial desire to prolong my ability to grow garden veggies.

I did my holes on the side of my pots at the bottom part. only 4 or 5 on the actual bottom.

In HK pots you need to water more often FYI.

and pulled the last cabbage today.

Back