Davidia involucrata, the handkerchief tree.

My other special tree is a Metasequoia glyptostroboides which is an ancient deciduous conifer, thought to be extinct and rediscovered in China in the 1950's - don't know if I got the spelling right :unsure:
My Davidii has survived 30C here, which is about 86F, but it prefers to be cooler. If it was grown in a cooler shaded area, it might survive but it certainly doesn't like too much heat. It is known to manage cold though and is said to survive ok down to minus 12C

Very nice too Zigs. I do also have a few of Liriodendron tulipifera as well, they're a bit special too 🤔 ... and how about the two fastiagate Beech trees - Fagus sylvatica, dawyck's purple, and dawyck's gold, they're a bit special too 😊

My word of the day is now "Montane" (a mile high basically) which I thought was well described as a sky island of forest. We are less than 1000ft above sea level here too bad.

My word of the day is now "Montane" (a mile high basically) which I thought was well described as a sky island of forest. We are less than 1000ft above sea level here too bad.

I used to live in a Temperate Rain Forest when I lived in Wales. I didn't realise it at the time, just that it had awful weather and everything was covered in moss.

Back