Your most difficult/frustrating crops

Ostrodamus

First name
Fox
Hardiness zone
6a
I recently watched a video titled "X crops I'd never grow again" and it made me wonder what others found difficult or "not worth it" to plant.

I have been having the most difficult time growing rosemary to an adult plant. I have killed around 60 plants this season. I don't even cook with it often, it just seemed like another easy herb to grow. I am beginning to think the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

What are yours?

Easily, by far, the most difficult to grow has been celery. It is a climate thing coupled with the growing requirements. Celery can require up to about 140 days of temps 60 to 70 deg. F... Never going below 40 deg. F or above 80 deg F. That kind of window just does not exist here.

I'm making one perhaps last attempt this year. I started plants from seed back in July in AC controlled environment. Transplanted them into HK containers about two weeks ago. They've already endured above 85 deg F but there is something about those HK containers that really helps protect leafy veggies so I'm hopeful that protection will work here.

For example, growing lettuce I've discovered is relatively easy in HK containers here but virtually impossible in the ground.

So, along come next February, we will see how this turns out. I'll need to "baby" them through several below 40 deg F nights to get there and rely on luck on not too many 85 deg. plus days. After Feb. every day is 85 deg plus here so they have to mature before that hits.. It is an interesting challenge.

Interestingly enough, I also discovered that my lettuce did better in my HK bed than my in-ground did. Our temps are still above 80F here currently, with only 2 days in the coming weeks that will dip to 79F.

Back