Why the awkward ergonomic order?

Dirtmechanic

Hardiness zone
8a
When I log in I intially see a mechanics view of a car dealership. Very practical but I feel empathatically for a first time site user. Oddly mechanical pages such as this sub being first listed seem confusing by being offered first before more thematic subjects. My suggestion is convert that initial page to something more like a "what is new" experience.

Currently on mobile one must manually discover that scrolling down arrives at the desired location for subject matter or at least topical postings the vegetabley challenged mind might have stumbled upon via google or other pathways.

Were an alien to magically arrive through a wormhole and suddenly be handed a cell phone where they might look up the only plant that supports their species on this site (koala bears from space?) and @Tetters had mentioned eucalyptus trees, then the placental structure that started the site might be better modified in that light that supports magical space traveling teddy bears in rapidly finding their dinner- if it were a thread.

Last edited:
I know a bit about what you're talking about but, unfortunately, I don't have much control over the descriptions used on individual pages on the site. Typically the description is made up of the first X number of characters/words of the first post in the thread. That's fairly consistent amongst most forum software. One exception is if "tags" are enabled, and folks are making use of those tags. In my experience, though, they're rarely used and rarely are representative of the overall site content, so I just leave them disabled across all my sites.

Also, search words aren't really anything I have control over for most pages either. That's largely up to the folks who are replying to the individual threads.

All this said, Google is starting to pick up the pages and put them into the search results now. It's taking longer than I'd like to move up in the results, but our impressions and clicks are going up, albeit very slowly.
I see the google bots curating their own pages. Obvious words like "the" and others are excluded. If you established a google adwords account for the site then whether you spend money or not you will have the menu function to enter a url and see what search terms the adwords connectivety to google mainframes is using to bring up any known page. It is internal to the google bots returning the crawl data back home and something I do regularly to my competition to ensure parity.

Carrying a smartphone around all the time can track where you are and listen to all that goes on. The laptop is easier to use, and has a bigger screen. Our phones are simple little nokia jobs, just for use in an emergency. Anyway, Dirt always speaks in riddles anyway. I keep telling him to stay off the lemonade... 😄
Maybe it's a ''man thing'' :rolleyes:

Back