What should I do with my Orange tree?

Anniekay

Hardiness zone
9a
Hurricane Helene blew almost all the leaves from this spring's new growth on my orange tree. As you can see it's just all spines and tatters. Should I leave it? I'm concerned that if I leave it it may just get killed back by frost and freeze. We get temps down in the high teens fahrenheitIMG_1340.webpIMG_1341.webp in February. What would you do with it, if you were me ?

If you take it out, it will have no chance at all will it. If you leave it in it has a good chance of surviving, especially if you keep some fleece handy to wrap it up before the frost gets bad.
1728638923324.webp

If you take it out, it will have no chance at all will it. If you leave it in it has a good chance of surviving, especially if you keep some fleece handy to wrap it up before the frost gets bad.
View attachment 1530
It's bigger than I am and been in ground for 3 years so, I can't take it out. The story behind it is that I got 3 oranges from a neighbor who got them from an old tree growing about 5 blocks south of here.

I planted a seed from each orange in summer 2020 ( they're semi sweet, so I think a Seville orange, for marmalade). All three were in pots until fall 2021 when I put them in ground. All were heavily protected in winter. First died in spring '22 , second died spring '23 and I was sure this one would croak so I never protected it in winter '23.
It not only lived through 5 nights of 19° f, it never dropped a leaf !! 😄

Consequently, It's got big and now is very close to that Italian cypress. Since I figured it would die, I didn't bother moving it to a better spot. Now I'm worried that the stress from the storm may attract disease via insects or airborne to the weakened branches and/or foliage. Not worried the whole tree needs frost protection. The older leaves and branches are undamagrd, green and healthy, just the growth that was put on this spring, being more tender, was damaged. Therefore: should I remove the stress damaged branches or leave them, this is the dilemma.

Last edited:
Leave it. Pruning bits out now will encourage new growth, which in turn will most likely succumb to frost. Wait until the springtime when the weather starts to warm up. Late spring is the right time to assess any ongoing damage, and to decide on pruning tactics.

Leave it. Pruning bits out now will encourage new growth, which in turn will most likely succumb to frost. Wait until the springtime when the weather starts to warm up. Late spring is the right time to assess any ongoing damage, and to decide on pruning tactics.
Thank you Tetters !! Being it's citrus and they are not like normal deciduous fruit trees, I was perplexed. 😒

My lemon and lime got no damage at all from the storm, but they're on the south side of the house and more protected.

Thank you Tetters !! Being it's citrus and they are not like normal deciduous fruit trees, I was perplexed. 😒

My lemon and lime got no damage at all from the storm, but they're on the south side of the house and more protected.
Well this orange must be pretty tough to have survived this far, and at this stage it looks like it has a fair chance. If things get really bad this winter frost wise, you'll just have to start another one on the south side .. Good luck!

Back