Trees to block off traffic at back of garden

The Cryptomeria 'sugi' is really lovely that @Dirtmechanic mentioned. I always stopped to drool over these when I worked at the nursery. It needs a good moisture retaining loam !
There are too many choices for me to keep up with but books like this new one help.

Since I have experience with it I would plant clumping bamboo. Grows 4' approximatelty, per year, (dependent upon variety planted) no pruning needed, sounds super pleasing when wind blows through it and it doesn't spread far and if you mow over the new shoots, ( which I never have needed to do ) which come up right next to the old, they won't grow, kills them.
I planted mine, well, you'll see in the following picture from year two why I planted it:

68364517097__895A3ED4-85AA-42BC-B790-F0BC3AA37C51.webp
Hiding an old camper and house next door needing paint.

This next pic is from year Three, just snapped the photo this morning.

IMG_1266.webp
You can't get a tree that's going to fill out ike bamboo does. I started with 5 pots which had one 2' tall culm in each in April 2021. Mine is Alphonse Karr but you would need to buy whatever grows best in your climate zone.

Thanks for all the extra comments.

@Sandy Ground My garden is west facing, in shade for part of the day but mostly sun. I believe the soil is Clay, but I'm not sure about pH value.

Based on comments and reviewing options, this is what I'm now thinking of getting to cover the 11m stretch of garden:

- 10x Western Red Cedar
- 20x Griselinia Littoralis
- 20x Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'
- 10x Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest

Advice I'm seeing is to plant around 3-5 per meter and I intend to stagger them a bit to create a thicker barrier. I've gone with the higher number here, but I am slightly concerned it's way too many and I should revise it down. Looking at 2L pots which seem quite common to get hold of and based on advice given not to buy them too established.

One thing I don't understand is that the smaller they are, the more they recommend to plant per m, but surely once they grow taller I don't want them so closely together! And if so, I could probably get away with a lot less.

I think you are right Andrew. It's best to consider the girth and height of your plants when they grow larger. Any gaps that may happen can be filled in if and when necessary.

Thanks for all the extra comments.

@Sandy Ground My garden is west facing, in shade for part of the day but mostly sun. I believe the soil is Clay, but I'm not sure about pH value.

Based on comments and reviewing options, this is what I'm now thinking of getting to cover the 11m stretch of garden:

- 10x Western Red Cedar
- 20x Griselinia Littoralis
- 20x Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'
- 10x Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest

Advice I'm seeing is to plant around 3-5 per meter and I intend to stagger them a bit to create a thicker barrier. I've gone with the higher number here, but I am slightly concerned it's way too many and I should revise it down. Looking at 2L pots which seem quite common to get hold of and based on advice given not to buy them too established.

One thing I don't understand is that the smaller they are, the more they recommend to plant per m, but surely once they grow taller I don't want them so closely together! And if so, I could probably get away with a lot less.
It is hard to account for attrition. Though you speak of trees, a higher density planting is common for seeding or in your case smaller trees because of the reality of attrition. I imagine it is like chess, thinking as you are planting each tree "What would it look like if this one was gone?".

Back