"The Hedgehog Herald"

Sean Regan

A thread with some reports of hedgehog activity. Likely to be a short thread as we're close to hibernation time.
It's difficult to know exactly what's happening as the cameras only record for a maximum of fifteen seconds with a gap of five seconds between each activation. Both cameras are set to start recording at 7.00pm. and stop at 8.00am.

It's almost impossible to tell the hedgehogs apart. They do brush against the top and sides of the doorway on the fence panel as they pass through. This I covered with sand and cement render, as it had the jagged edges of the many drill holes after I'd knocked out the centre to make the hole. So sometimes they have white marks on their prickles but usually in the same places!

Anyway, this is a photo from the camera covering the house under the azaleas next to the main patio. This part of the border has a fence around it that only, birds blackbird size and smaller, squirrels and the hedgehogs can get through. This excludes wood pigeons, cats and foxes.

The camera was set to start operating from 7.00pm. This is the first "activation" of many, last night, which would suggest that this is its occupant. Unless it had gone in before seven for a half hour kip, which seems unlikely.

IMAG0001.webp

It went back in again at 7.49 pm

IMAG0003.webp

and didn't come out again until 8.16 pm

IMAG0005.webp

This is from the camera covering the other house at the bottom of the garden. The first activation at 7.57.

So it has to be a different hedgehog, as the other can't be in two places at once.

IMAG0001.webp

Cor, you really have a superb set up for them there. I reckon they must be the luckiest hogs in the UK. What a wonderfully safe place to spend the winter kip. They'll be able to take their nap with full bellies inside their very own fort with their very own ''guard in charge'' outside keeping a watch over them. It almost makes me feel envious. Have you spotted any signs of babies there this summer? I lost track of your hog diary?
You need a name for this ''Kingdom'' - how about Balmoral?

Well you should know by now that your wife is always quite right, and it would be really silly to try to avoid getting the job done. If you know what's good for you I think you should get on with it straight away - you know it will not take you long, and while you're at it I suggest,(in my infinite wisdom as a woman) that you should make another extra one for the next inmate - maybe a semi detached?
After all, it will cost far less to manufacture the houses, which I know is well included in your capabilities, and not only that it will keep you occupied for a while and give your lovely wife some peace. 😁

Wait.
You have two hedgehogs and two homes. What happens when their mates move in? They're not likely to stay single after aquiring such a lovely home in which to entice a mate.
What happens when they have kids?
When the kids have kids?

Oh, I think you're likely to have to consult your local Urban Planning commission as to the number of living quarters you're going to need per Square foot of hedge...😁

I didn't make either of the two hedgehog houses we have, but I did make each a larger "add on" roof, which protects the entrance from the rain.

As I often say, "anything for a quiet life," so I've ordered another house. This one is "family sized." 22" x 17."
At fifty quid, it's more substantial than some on offer and so it should be, at half the price that look rather flimsy. It has a washable interior floor and the construction is of thick plywood and the sides are connected by proper joints, not pin nails. The others I added screws to make them more substantial.

1.webp

s-l1600.webp

It should be here by next Thursday. It can go where the second house was originally situated, at the back of the side border, close to the doorway in the fence.
But we're getting late in the year. Hopefully, it will get an occupant. The fact that food is presently available should delay hibernation for a couple of weeks.

Most impressive indeed, and now number three has a place to lay his weary head. All they will need now is some nice fresh bedding, and maybe some little quilts in case it gets really frosty. Oh, they will love you 🥰🦔🦔🦔............ mind you, I do know that your woodworking skills are good :unsure: Can't wait to see the next photos. It's not really quite cold enough for them to retire yet, so you'll be in good time!!

I've had an update on the delivery of the new house. It could be as early as Monday.
So I'm "prepared."
I went to Travis-Perkins this morning for a couple of paving slabs.
I think it necessary not to have hedgehog houses sitting on the bare earth.

These are now in position in the side bed. Not too close to the doorway in the fence.
A case of getting them level with just a bit of a fall towards the lawn.

P1020289.webp

I've made another roof to go over the house which will give added protection from rain for the entrance.
Ideally, I would have liked to have covered it with roofing felt. But I had none and wasn't going to shell out for a whole roll.
So I covered it top and bottom with wide tape.

P1020289.webp

P1020288.webp

Lots of activity again last night. Still three hedgehogs... I think. Ownership of the house near the back fence in constant dispute.

That's it for today, I'm now watching the football on TV.
I'm waiting for our new washing machine to be delivered in the next couple of hours by John Lewis. It's an easy enough job to connect them up, I've done a few in my time. It's a five-minute job. I didn't take "advantage" of John Lewis's offer to have the delivery men connect it up for £30.
They delivered one on Tuesday, but it was the wrong one. The old one packed up on Thursday last week, so there's quite a bit of laundry to be done.

Last edited:
There was another, "attempted home invasion" last night.

Fortunately, "Hog Hall" arrived this afternoon.

P1020296.webp

I don't mind "flat-pack," less chance of damage.

The contents were well protected.

P1020297.webp

Screw were provided, but I used glue with them as there is less chance of water penetration.

P1020298.webp

There was a thin coat of paint on it, but I used the matt black spray paint I had. I left it to dry whilst I went to the dentist for a check-up and then did some shopping.

P1020299.webp

I fitted a block of polystyrene to the base for insulation.

P1020300.webp

The centre divider can be removed so the "lino" can be taken out for cleaning.

P1020301.webp

Put in plenty of fresh hay.

P1020304.webp

Tried out the bigger roof I made

Tried out the larger roof I made with the overhang at the front, on top the green felt one.

P1020302.webp

Job done and on the pavers. I've positioned the camera to cover any activity. I've left a few hedgehog pellets by the doorway.

P1020306.webp

It's not too noticeable behind the rhodos.

P1020305.webp

Last edited:
Back