Soil testing & kits

Ostrodamus

First name
Fox
Hardiness zone
6a
I used a MySoil test kit this year and was really happy with the results. For those of you who may not be familiar with the kit, it tests for a range of nutrients (13 nutrients) and then gives you recommendations on amendments. This year I was thinking about going with a Whitetail Institute test kit that tests for much less (lime, N, P, K). I guess my questions are...

1) Is it really worth paying twice the price to have 10 additional nutrients tested for?
2) Does knowing more nutrient contents directly equate to better/specific amendment recommendations? (I.E. The basic 3 nutrient results would recommend Fertilizer A, but knowing the additional 10 nutrients would change it from Fertilizer A to Fertilizer B) <--- Is that a thing?
3) If I have 6 garden beds, should I test them all? Why or why not?

References:
MySoil Test Kit
Whitetail Institute Test Kit

Here in Georgia our county Ag extension office takes your soil sample and tests it for the following for 6 bucks.​

(Routine Test)​

pH, Lime requirement, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese

Fee: $6.00*

They request you take samples from different areas and put it all together. That's all I find necessary to test for.

I used a MySoil test kit this year and was really happy with the results. For those of you who may not be familiar with the kit, it tests for a range of nutrients (13 nutrients) and then gives you recommendations on amendments. This year I was thinking about going with a Whitetail Institute test kit that tests for much less (lime, N, P, K). I guess my questions are...
I have used MySoil test kits for many years. IMO, they are the best by far.

For example, do you grow brassicas and does Whitetail test for boron? MySoil does and my first test result with MySoil years ago showed virtually zero boron in my soil. After solving that deficiency, the broccoli, cabbage, etc. I grew was incredible.

1) Is it really worth paying twice the price to have 10 additional nutrients tested for?
For me YES absolutely! For you...only you can determine that.

2) Does knowing more nutrient contents directly equate to better/specific amendment recommendations? (I.E. The basic 3 nutrient results would recommend Fertilizer A, but knowing the additional 10 nutrients would change it from Fertilizer A to Fertilizer B) <--- Is that a thing?
Yes but perhaps more importantly the nutrient density score they provide, which to my knowledge no one else provides, yields a unique insight to the likely nutrients in the food you are producing. I find that worth the price of admission...but then I care very much about the nutrient values of the food I eat. I believe that is arguably the most important reason to grow your own veggies. We are what we eat and you can't put a price on that.

For the most recent six past years, my soil has tested above 90% nutrient density. The recommendation from the MySoil lab has been " No N,P, K required" in each of those years. I do not use any synthetic fertilizers nor any pesticides or fungicides or herbicides in my garden and haven't for decades. Thanks to MySoil and their rigorous testing, I no longer have to test my soil regularly. I know pretty much precisely what it takes to get above 90% nutrient density score and "No N,P,K required" without testing.

3) If I have 6 garden beds, should I test them all? Why or why not?
If someone is more concerned about the cost of the test, rather than the value of the results...probably not.

My approach requires a baseline. I rely on knowing what my soil needs and have the knowledge to provide those needs totally organically.

Providing nutritious fresh food is probably the single most important thing I do for myself and family. Testing removes the guesswork.

I have decided to test 4/6 beds, as I have 2 matching pairs of beds that technically should be the same (in theory). What is the ideal timeline for testing? I currently have a garden full of growing crops. I have an entire compost bin I've been mixing all season and should be in its final form in about a month.

My initial thoughts were to test after the end of season (fall 2024), then amend the soil with compost.

or

Test (fall 2024), amend with recommendations from MySoil. Then add compost as a finishing move just prior to planting (spring 2025).

Do I even need both an amendment and additional compost?

I have decided to test 4/6 beds, as I have 2 matching pairs of beds that technically should be the same (in theory). What is the ideal timeline for testing? I currently have a garden full of growing crops. I have an entire compost bin I've been mixing all season and should be in its final form in about a month.

My initial thoughts were to test after the end of season (fall 2024), then amend the soil with compost.

or

Test (fall 2024), amend with recommendations from MySoil. Then add compost as a finishing move just prior to planting (spring 2025).

Do I even need both an amendment and additional compost?
I would personally, (and it's only how I would do it if I lived somewhere where I was not planting in winter due to cold temps) wait until early spring and then add whatever the test recommends. By then you'll likely have more compost and what you have now will be really well aged.

What I would do...immediately after harvest this fall is run a soil test to get a baseline. Then while waiting on soil test results add several inches of compost (preferably composted animal manure) and plant a thick cover crop. The sooner the better for getting the cover going. Cereal rye, clovers, Austrian peas, vetch, alfalfa would all work well in your area. Next spring, turn that green manure cover into the soil. After giving some time to assimilate, run another soil test. You now have a baseline and improved soil which can be amended further per the soil test. You also will have obtained invaluable knowledge as to the effects of adding rich compost and using cover crops. Knowledge isn't usually free...that is any worth having.

That's what I would do...but you may consider that too much money and trouble...or maybe TMI. :D

Back