PSA: Outdoors and your clothing

Anniekay

Hardiness zone
9a
I'm posting this because, if you're anything like me and your mind is on your gardening more than your clothing, you will:
#1) whip off your long sleeved shirt or jacket on that chilly morning and toss it aside, as soon as your body temp isn't in need of it any longer, leave it hanging on the fence, a peg in your potting shed or even on the ground while you carry on getting your gardening on.
'Don't do that and then carry it away or, even worse, put it back on your body without turning it inside out and thoroughly checking for critters !!

The last two years, ( I'm a slow learner, evidently) I have been twice bitten and gotten ill by #1) having left a long sleeved flannel shirt hanging in my potting shed and consequently, when I put it back on, gotten bit by a Black Widow spider. Believe you me, they not only hurt but the venom actually eats a hole in your flesh and after the venom gets far enough into your system, it affects your nervous system. I was quite woozy while driving to have it looked after. Then, after getting the bill from the emergency room visit to the " horsepistol" you feel like you've been shot in the chest by a pistol big as a horse !!😮
So, no leaving clothing outside without a good look-through inside and out!!
This is how the spider bite looks now, 3 months later:

IMG_1294.webp

And #2)

When either ticks or mosquitos are likely to be present, do not forget to replenish your bug spray and, if you are going to be down on the ground kneeling, for goodness sakes, tuck your pants INSIDE of your socks. Why do that, you say? Because ticks will crawl up your leg, get into a crevice in your body where you are unlikely to notice them and give you a not-so-nice disease...or 3 !!

I was on my knees in fall planting and weeding in my shade garden. I had applied spray sufficient to repel ticks but I had been scrambling in the dirt for hours and the repellant had worn off. The next day, same activity and when I got in the shower a full grown, but not engorged tick was crawling down my leg.

It turns out that I had been bitten by a tiny little seed tick, size of a pinhead. He fed on my blood for a day and night without my noticing. Weeks later I was quite ill. It turned out I had, from that tick, gotten Lyme disease, human Parvo virus and Eppstein Barr disease. All gifted me from one teeny tiny tick. I was ill for almost a year. I plugged on but it was not easy.

So bring your repellent with you and replenish it often !! You don't want to be getting ill from your own lack of attention to the nasty bugs just waiting to suck your blooooood !!

P.S. I'm not showing you what that bite looked like, it was not in an area appropriate for public viewing !!😋😋😋

Last edited:
@Anniekay In this instance, I fully understand what you are saying. The biggest problem here is what you call mosquitos. Directly translated, that would be midges. Hungry things that come out at ertain times of the year just to use me as their major source of food!

As regards spider bites. One bit me on the foot a few years ago. Knowing first hand how that feels, you have my sympathy!

@Anniekay In this instance, I fully understand what you are saying. The biggest problem here is what you call mosquitos. Directly translated, that would be midges. Hungry things that come out at ertain times of the year just to use me as their major source of food!

As regards spider bites. One bit me on the foot a few years ago. Knowing first hand how that feels, you have my sympathy!
Very good point @Sandy Ground !! I forgot to mention how deadly mosquito bites have become with Zika, HIV, West Nile disease and a miriad of other deadly and incopascitating dideases on the rise, we must be sure to protect ourselves from being bitten.

And yes, it hurt quite a bit !!

I'm willing to bet that we both have stories regarding mosquitos and spiders!
I lost my Chocolate Palomino Rocky Mountain horse to West Nile virus in 2002. He couldn't use his legs. We rolled him onto an eggcrate matress and treated him with DMSO drenches twice a day. After 10 days his fever went to 107 and we had to put him down, so, yeah, imagine what West Nile can do to a 200lb person compared to what it did to a 1000lb horse.

His registered name was "Happy Top" and he was one of the original registered horses of the breed. He was #37 in the registry. He was chocolate brown in summer and a dirty Palomino color when his winter coat came in with a long, thick blonde mane and tail. Great horse taken down by a tiny mosquito.

I'm posting this because, if you're anything like me and your mind is on your gardening more than your clothing, you will:
#1) whip off your long sleeved shirt or jacket on that chilly morning and toss it aside, as soon as your body temp isn't in need of it any longer, leave it hanging on the fence, a peg in your potting shed or even on the ground while you carry on getting your gardening on.
'Don't do that and then carry it away or, even worse, put it back on your body without turning it inside out and thoroughly checking for critters !!

The last two years, ( I'm a slow learner, evidently) I have been twice bitten and gotten ill by #1) having left a long sleeved flannel shirt hanging in my potting shed and consequently, when I put it back on, gotten bit by a Black Widow spider. Believe you me, they not only hurt but the venom actually eats a hole in your flesh and after the venom gets far enough into your system, it affects your nervous system. I was quite woozy while driving to have it looked after. Then, after getting the bill from the emergency room visit to the " horsepistol" you feel like you've been shot in the chest by a pistol big as a horse !!😮
So, no leaving clothing outside without a good look-through inside and out!!
This is how the spider bite looks now, 3 months later:

View attachment 1310

And #2)

When either ticks or mosquitos are likely to be present, do not forget to replenish your bug spray and, if you are going to be down on the ground kneeling, for goodness sakes, tuck your pants INSIDE of your socks. Why do that, you say? Because ticks will crawl up your leg, get into a crevice in your body where you are unlikely to notice them and give you a not-so-nice disease...or 3 !!

I was on my knees in fall planting and weeding in my shade garden. I had applied spray sufficient to repel ticks but I had been scrambling in the dirt for hours and the repellant had worn off. The next day, same activity and when I got in the shower a full grown, but not engorged tick was crawling down my leg.

It turns out that I had been bitten by a tiny little seed tick, size of a pinhead. He fed on my blood for a day and night without my noticing. Weeks later I was quite ill. It turned out I had, from that tick, gotten Lyme disease, human Parvo virus and Eppstein Barr disease. All gifted me from one teeny tiny tick. I was ill for almost a year. I plugged on but it was not easy.

So bring your repellent with you and replenish it often !! You don't want to be getting ill from your own lack of attention to the nasty bugs just waiting to suck your blooooood !!

P.S. I'm not showing you what that bite looked like, it was not in an area appropriate for public viewing !!😋😋😋
Wow, never thought about this. Great advice. I have been getting ticks in my yard for the first time I have at least noticed. Had to spray my yard in the Spring. Although my biggest "DUH" is forgetting gloves and then spreading Lord knows what all over myself. I suspect I have acquired an allergy to the coleus plant. I forget, then rub my eyes and a few days later they are glued shut. And lets not even talk about the Ivy.

Wow, never thought about this. Great advice. I have been getting ticks in my yard for the first time I have at least noticed. Had to spray my yard in the Spring. Although my biggest "DUH" is forgetting gloves and then spreading Lord knows what all over myself. I suspect I have acquired an allergy to the coleus plant. I forget, then rub my eyes and a few days later they are glued shut. And lets not even talk about the Ivy.
I'm glad you brought up allergic reactions to plants @Jersey Devil, and yes, we get an itch and we unconsciously and spontaneously just rub it away when we are fixated on our gardening and pay the price later.

Lots of times we not only forget our gloves but we just spontaneously, when seeing a foreign interloper taking nutrients away from a beloved plant, grab hold and snatch it out of the ground without actually knowing what it is. We just want it out of there.

For me, it's Carolina Jasmine that I'm allergic to. I get a poison ivy type rash from it. All I need to do after touching it is rub my hand over any part of my body and it will spread over me like a wild fire. I must be particularly careful at plant nurseries as they sell it in pots with trellis attached. Let that rub against my arm and I'm done for.

My, and most other local Agricultural Extension Agency Offices have a list of plants that grow wild in the local area that can cause allergic reactions in some people.
It wouldn't hurt to familiarize yourself with these just in case you have them in your yard. You may not be allergic to them but it's worth warning others who visit your garden that may want to touch those plants, that these plants can cause allergic reactions in some people. Knowledge is power !!

I lost my Chocolate Palomino Rocky Mountain horse to West Nile virus in 2002. He couldn't use his legs. We rolled him onto an eggcrate matress and treated him with DMSO drenches twice a day. After 10 days his fever went to 107 and we had to put him down, so, yeah, imagine what West Nile can do to a 200lb person compared to what it did to a 1000lb horse.

His registered name was "Happy Top" and he was one of the original registered horses of the breed. He was #37 in the registry. He was chocolate brown in summer and a dirty Palomino color when his winter coat came in with a long, thick blonde mane and tail. Great horse taken down by a tiny mosquito.

@Anniekay So sorry to read about your horse. I can tell from the wording how much you cared for it. It only goes to highlight how sound your advice is.

Back