Not sure where to put this

skinyea

Hardiness zone
6b
I saw something today I never had even heard of.

for the last few weeks, I thought I had rabbits in the garden, Carrots, Beets, beans, Pumpkin plants eaten. so much that I thought I must have several Rabbits getting in somehow. Garden is totally Rabbit prove. could not figure it out.

Today I was in the other garden and saw a whistlepig climb up the tree beside the garden and then come down the bean trellis that had grown into the tree. ingenious.
damn thing was coming in, eating whatever it wanted and then climbing up the trellis and getting out.

set several of those humane traps going to catch that damn thing and take it far far away.

Older folks? I never have heard them called salamanders in my near 80 years :eek:
My Mother-in-law, who died in 2004, at the age of 94 called them that. And don't dare tell her they aren't Salamanders !! She'd tell you: Don't you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about "!! 😆😂😂

Come on now...Groundhog Day? It is a big deal here. You must get out more ;);)

The first official Groundhog Day took place on February 2, 1887, in Punxsutawney. Pennsylvania...and contrary to rumor I was not in attendance.
Ok smarty pants, maybe you could explain all about the day of the Bilby for me -- without looking it up!! then, explain all about the game of conkers --again, without looking it up. I would ask if you know why haggis have two short legs and two long legs, but then, everyone knows about that already.
Maybe I have travelled and visited a few countries in the world, but I never bothered to stop off in America. 😜

Ok smarty pants, maybe you could explain all about the day of the Bilby for me -- without looking it up!! then, explain all about the game of conkers --again, without looking it up. I would ask if you know why haggis have two short legs and two long legs, but then, everyone knows about that already.
Maybe I have travelled and visited a few countries in the world, but I never bothered to stop off in America. 😜
I've always wanted to taste Haggis. Why does it have legs at all? I suppose you don't have to chase it to get it to stay still on your plate, or 🤔 would you?

@Meadowlark - no, not really. The day of the bilby doesn't happen at this time of year at all. I daresay you will have :giggle: to look it up - you really need to get out more. How about the conkers and haggis? Do you fancy another try?

Annie, the story goes, the haggis runs round and round mountains - always the same way, which of course means that eventually the leg that is in the higher position naturally becomes shorter, as the legs on the other side of the body get longer to compensate for the drop. This of course is the reason that they become so exhausted that they are easy to catch! They are very tasty - especially with neeps and tatties.

@Meadowlark - no, not really. The day of the bilby doesn't happen at this time of year at all. I daresay you will have :giggle: to look it up - you really need to get out more.
It seems there are differing opinions about when the day of the bilby happens.... but I can't find any that support yours :eek:

"National Bilby Day is celebrated in Australia on the second Sunday of September each year. This day is dedicated to raising awareness about the bilby..."

Thus, the comment about just missing the great day.

Back