Northern lights

Mr_Yan

Hardiness zone
6a
Anyone catch the norther light displays last night? It was clouded over here when I checked around 11:15. The Texans would have missed it but you Brits are pretty far north.

Clouds have cleared out here. With any luck they'll be out again tonight.

I did happen to go outside and look up north and saw a strange purple haze to the sky and what looked to be a faded spotlight beam. This was before I found out it was the northern lights.

No northern lights for me. Storms rolling in here now. I think I'd rather have the rain though, and I know the garden agrees!

We saw a magnificent display, but not from the North - we were sent photos from my son and various members of his family of the Aurora Australis. Zigs turned them into a video for YouTube - I'll see if I can find it....

Think what our early ancestors must have thought to see those strange lights in the sky?

Must have been terrifying for some.

Probably the stuff of legends and lore.

Haven't seen the sun here in days so missing this event.

This is a great point and I bet you're right! Imagine not knowing anything other than normal skies then all of a sudden it's painted with all different colors. Then those folks travel south with the stories and everyone thinks they're a bunch of liars.

Think what our early ancestors must have thought to see those strange lights in the sky?
I wondered about that too :eek:

I spent my life working on Churches and old buildings. I cleaned a gargoyle once that was covered in moss and had been for hundreds of years. Looked like a dragon with 2 small wings on the front and bigger wings on the back, only the wings on the back had square tubes on that looked like the jet engines on Concord :eek:

I wondered what they had seen to make them carve something like that 🤔

I disturbed a 'nest' of baby centipedes once, one reared up and I thought 'That's what inspired dragons'.
The other thing that makes me think of medieval peasants is the bright colours of scarlet pimpernel and speedwell, they must have been amazing to people whose lives were all shades of brown or green otherwise.

I disturbed a 'nest' of baby centipedes once, one reared up and I thought 'That's what inspired dragons'.
The other thing that makes me think of medieval peasants is the bright colours of scarlet pimpernel and speedwell, they must have been amazing to people whose lives were all shades of brown or green otherwise.
Oh crikey, I shall be looking for a nest of baby dragons now to have a closer look.

Back