Sandy Ground

Hi everyone! This forum was brought to my attention earlier today, so I thought that I would join. Most members are new to me, but I do recognise some names from other channels. Will have a better look round before telling more about myself. As those that know me will confirm, I have a wide range of interests other than gardening.

Hi everyone! This forum was brought to my attention earlier today, so I thought that I would join. Most members are new to me, but I do recognise some names from other channels. Will have a better look round before telling more about myself. As those that know me will confirm, I have a wide range of interests other than gardening.
Big welcome to you Sandy, as this forum is only in its infancy, we are all actually 'newbies' anyway it is good to have you on board. :)

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

To answer Meadowlarks questions: I'm situated in Sweden. As to the zone, its not something that I have ever looked into, so have no idea, sorry.

Zones are a bit more American! My 'zone' as far as I'm concerned is Kent UK 😀 You can put your location on your profile when you're ready. It helps us all to answer any questions you may have if we know your whereabouts. You could also add an avatar picture too.
When I first bought my land, I had to find out what would grow naturally there, and so contacted a government department about it. I wanted to grow Kent cob nuts, but was advised that my ground would not be suitable for bumper crops. I needed Sandy Ground!! So where were you then, when I needed you ? ..:LOL:

Dont fret Tetters, I'm here now if you need me!

As regards zones, my personal opinion is that their borders seem to be moving. I doubt that this fact is something that "experts" would agree about

Using my own garden as an example. The first flower to show is normally on a Peony. This year, the peonies are budding and should open any day. This year, they have been beaten to it by two of the rose bushes.

As regards zones, my personal opinion is that their borders seem to be moving. I doubt that this fact is something that "experts" would agree about
Some basic facts about growing zones:

1) The USDA prepares a map showing growing zones. Other countries have adapted to make their own maps.

2) Each zone represents a 10-degree Fahrenheit range of average annual extreme minimum winter temperature, with zones numbered from 1 (coldest) to 13 (warmest). Each zone is subdivided into 5-degree F half zones which are labeled "A" (northern coldest) or "B" (southern warmer) . For example, I'm considered 9A and formerly was 8B.

They aren't a panacea but do provide good indications of what will or won't grow in a particular area. The best growing zone is the one you build from personal experience...but that generally does not come without some "pain" :confused:

I checked. My garden is in Zone 1. Even so, I can still grow things such as Peonies, as well as lots of other plants outdoors, all year round. True or false?

Here's a list of plants I found for zone 1:

1. Perennials:
    • Yarrow: A virtually care-free herb.
    • False Spirea: Also known as Astilbe, it produces feathery plumes of flowers.
    • Cranesbill: A low-maintenance perennial with attractive foliage and delicate flowers.
    • Columbine: Known for its unique, spurred flowers.
    • Delphinium: A tall perennial with striking flower spikes.
    • Creeping Jenny: A groundcover plant with bright yellow-green leaves.
    • Siberian Iris: Hardy iris species that thrives in cold climates.
    • Lily of the Valley: Fragrant, bell-shaped flowers in spring.
  2. Native Cold Hardy Plants:
    • Consider native trees and bushes like:
      • Dwarf Birch
      • Crowberry
      • Lapland Rhododendron
      • Netleaf Willow
      • Quaking Aspen
      • Artemisia
      • Wild Cushion Plant
      • Cotton Grass
      • Labrador Tea
      • Devil’s Club
  3. Adapted Cold Hardy Plants:
    • While not native to the region, some non-native plants can survive in Zone 1 if given proper care. These might include:
      • Mountain Avens
      • Alpine Aster
      • Arctic Poppy
AI says peonies are ok to only zone 3...but if you have grwon them go for it!

So is zone one freezing cold then? I have found that the majority of perennials I grow that disappear altogether in the winter, always shoot through again in the springtime, - well, with one or two exceptions I suppose.
I checked. My garden is in Zone 1. Even so, I can still grow things such as Peonies, as well as lots of other plants outdoors, all year round. True or false?
True!! We do get a few very cold nights here too in the winter, I find that the biggest problem comes from icy cold wind, and putting up windbreaks using netting will help that. The dark green shade netting is what we use. It's a double whammy, in the summer it helps to keep stuff cooler - can't go wrong. 😁

Tetters, your description is the same as things are here. The only difference that I can think of offhand is temperature. Typically, Winter will bring a period of maybe 6 or 8 weeks with around minus 15 or 20C. Summers around 25 to 30C.

Mike ,when I can work out how to shrink photos, I'll post some. I did try yesterday, but always got the message "file to large." As well as how to attach quotes also.

@Sandy Ground, if you want to attract Mike's attention, the best thing to do is put @Mike - or so I've been instructed. I can't help at all with photos, since my old laptop died, and I got this chromebook thingy I can't even work out how to upload anything, so Zigs has to do it for me - very frustrating 😖

Mike ,when I can work out how to shrink photos, I'll post some. I did try yesterday, but always got the message "file to large." As well as how to attach quotes also.

Try again and see what happens. I was able to increase the size limit a little (to the server maximum) and, if it still doesn't work, I'll see what I can do to increase the allowable file upload limit so you can upload your photos as they are. I've actually ran into that same error with some of my photos.

@Mike Thank you dor helping. I've attached a photo of one of my peony bushes. It seems to be ok so far. Lets hope its fine when I post. Due to the design of my garden, its difficult to take photos, but I'll try later. I assume "Showcase will be the place?

Attachments

• IMG_1882.webp
    IMG_1882.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 4
Back