Help an old man out

Jersey Devil

Hardiness zone
6b
Please identify these two plants. The first one I bought only two months ago and already forgot what it is. The second is something that just sprung up out of nowhere last year and I did not grow. TYVM

Attachments

• IMG_2564.webp
    IMG_2564.webp
    335 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2565.webp
    IMG_2565.webp
    363 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2566.webp
    IMG_2566.webp
    456 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2567.webp
    IMG_2567.webp
    244.2 KB · Views: 6
I think you're right with the Catharanthus @Tetters - possibly 'Roseus'. I like that and will check it out, if I'm lucky it might grow here in the north. :)
I rather think that ''roseus'' might suggest pink, but in this case it might well apply to both colours.
Please identify these two plants. The first one I bought only two months ago and already forgot what it is. The second is something that just sprung up out of nowhere last year and I did not grow. TYVM
I worked on the assumption that this other plant would be part of the aster family. My best guess is Symphyotricum ericoides, which used to be Aster ericoides ''snow flurry''
This effort is for an old man called @Jersey Devil from an old woman 😁

Upvote 0
Is "Annual Vinca" another name ? I specifically remember the tag said not to overwater, to let it dry out a little first. The second one concerns me because it sprang up like a weed and although its pretty, IDK if its a bad thing to have growing. Grew to almost 5 feet since Spring, and the bees love it, so do bees like flowers on WEEDS ??...(close ups of first then second ones)...

Attachments

• IMG_2568.webp
    IMG_2568.webp
    60 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2569.webp
    IMG_2569.webp
    101.7 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
@Jersey Devil ......Annual vinca could be another name for your plant. Generally I like to try and stick to the Latin names, but this can be either annual or perennial - you would need to check that with the label, or indeed the seller !!
The other little plant, in my opinion, is worth having - for the very fact it encourages bees, which in turn do multiple important jobs in our gardens.
Our own bees here seem to have diminished at an alarming rate at the moment :eek:
It isn't that difficult to cut them back a bit with the pruners if you think they get too big for their space, and if they seed more than you would like, they can be hoed out quite quickly.
Sometimes a plant that people call WEED is actually prettier and more useful than the posh ones -- it's a bit like people.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although I am lacking in knowledge and seldom if ever can offer advice to gardeners questions here, I am grateful for the relpies I always receive to my own questions. You people are all very patient and kind with sharing your expertise. TYVM ;)

Upvote 0
Well JD, it's rather pleasing to see you write that, but it took us all loads of time and loads of mistakes to learn anything at all. My problem is that unless I make notes these days I tend to forget the stuff I have learned :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind betting that you would be able to teach all of us lots of things on subjects apart from gardening.
Anyway, it does us good to be big heads from time to time 🤭

Upvote 0
Back