Grape Vine

Good idea Mr Yan :)

Next door has a grape vine running aong the spine of their polytunnel, it provides good shade. I've seen Kiwi Fruits used the same, with fruits hanging down from them.

I tried to get some cold hardy kiwi growing here but all three died. Maybe if I put them somewhere with better soil and did more than a STUN (shear total utter neglect) maintenance they would have lived.

I had one that was doing fine outside when I lived in Somerset, the pub had one in their back garden too. You have to get the right variety if you want fruit though :)

From what I have read - not experience because I killed my three - cold hardy kiwi are dioecious so you need a male and a female plant to actually have the female set fruit.

I've taken off several shoots, fixed one above the door and cut others back to one or 2 flower heads. I left 2 at the top and as they grow I'll choose the best one to fix and train along the spine of the polytunnel.

DSC04782.webp

Tackled the thinning today...

DSC05275.webp

DSC05276.webp

They look lovely but there's too many on the bunches so they won't grow very big. I thinned out as many small ones as I could and then snipped a few big ones out too.

DSC05277.webp

Hopefully we'll get some decent sized grapes now.

DSC05278.webp

How old is this grape vine @Zigs? I'm looking to put in a grape vine, or two, next year and I'm wondering how long it might take to get that many grapes.

Think we planted it 5 years ago Mike. It's been producing a fair amount of grapes every year.

This was October last year.

DSC01938.webp

Back