Garden butterflies

Meadowlark

They pollinate our plants, they bring beauty, and they are a harbinger of a healthy garden environment...yet after decades of gardening I am unable to readily identify these glorious creatures.

So, I thought I would start a thread, show a picture of a variety of butterfly currently in my garden and ask for your confirmation. Your confirmation or denial will help me and possibly others with the ID of the creatures.

Also, please post via photo varieties in your garden either with or without Id and we can accumulate of list of many varieties...we should get at least 25 to 30 different varieties if you can chip in.

Calling @Tetters

Last edited:
Not confident of my Id on this one....Bright orange wings help identify the great spangled fritillary butterfly (Speyeria cybele). The orange colors on the forewings and hind wings have an almost glowing appearance. The orange wings also have rows of black dots and dashes between the black veins. The center of the wings closer to the body are in darker shades of orange, giving this a truly spectacular look.

Correct Id?

great spangled fritillary butterfly (Speyeria cybele)..JPG

This has been correctly Id as Gulf fritillary, Agraulis vanillae (Linnaeus) by @Sheal for which I am very grateful!

Last edited:
This one is small and white and fits this description: The Cabbage White butterfly, also known as the Small White, is a common species found in the United States. It’s prevalent in North America, parts of South America, and Europe. These butterflies prefer sunny environments and feed on a variety of flowering plants including white clover.

Correct Id?

clover butterfly.JPGclover butterfly 2.JPG

You've got me with the American ones Mr Lark, I've seen a Scarce Swallowtail but that was in North Africa, they don't come up to England.

We do have lots of Cabbage Whites though, small, large and marbled.

Although you tagged me on this thread Meadowlark, it didn't show on the alerts, so I wonder why? We'll have to ask @Mike (let's see if that worked)
I'm afraid I also have zero knowledge of the butterflies or any of the birds you have in the USA, and would need to look them all up - except as Zigs mentioned - the unpopular cabbage white, which we all seem to have :rolleyes: nevertheless, it is a super idea for a thread, and I shall look forward to seeing a few more of these beautiful creatures. I have caught sight of your monarch butterfly somewhere and heard that they appear in huge crowds there. Ooh look, - you just posted some more. You or your countrymen and women will have to do the identifying job though! 😌

Yes and that's one reason I thought you might be able to nail these. :cool:

Hopefully someone(s) else will chime in.

I hate to think I've spent almost 8 decades on this planet without being able to identify the butterflies I see almost every day...so I'm hoping to fix that one way or another! :mad:

Phlox paniculata, on the first, Marigolds - you know already, and Lantana for the spectacular blue butterfly. Lovely! It's never too late to learn something new is it.

All correct Meadowlark apart from the fourth one, the orange butterfly. That is apparently Agraulis Dione Vanillae also know as a Gulf Fritillary.
You are absolutely correct on the Gulf fritillary, Agraulis vanillae (Linnaeus)....

"beautifully colored, it is usually only those that are colorful AND large that garner much attention from folks. One such species is a common denizen here in Texas, and that species is the gulf fritillary. The gulf fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) is one of the larger butterfly species that call Texas home. It can be observed throughout this state at one time of the year or another. It thrives along open scrublands and wooded areas, as well as in well-decorated gardens. Outside of Texas, it occurs in the southern United States from California to Florida southward to southern Mexico."

Now that's what I'm talking about...a corrected Identification. Thanks so much @Sheal

1718355263650.png Ok! I pinched the picture, but this is a Camberwell beauty (Nymphosis antiopa) and it is a butterfly I only saw once! This lovely creature flew alongside me one day some years ago - all the way along our lane as I brought the dogs back from our walk. When I got to the gateway, it continued to fly along the lane, so there we parted company. I couldn't believe the size of it. Another name this butterfly has earned is ''mourning cloak''
Butterflies in America have some wonderful colouring, like the birds too. The only way I could identify the butterflies is to cheat and use the web. :)
Hey, I need all the help I can get.

Don't we all Meadowlark !!

Back