Advice for new gardeners.

olly-buckle

I notice new gardeners often ask for advice when they join a forum, and I thought if there was a thread we could all contribute to we could refer people to it rather than typing it all out again. More information for them, less work for us.

I'll start :-
Don't try to save every plant and nurse the sickly ones to health, it's a sure way to lots of work and no success, keep the best and compost the rest.

If you are growing veg. think about what you already eat first. Even potatoes tastes better when grown in the garden, and exotic and unusual veg are likely to be harder to grow.

A compost heap is a really good idea, but put it out of the way. Anything within eight feet of a compost heap is likely to get 'slugged'.

Look for cheap seeds, expensive does not mean better, it means they are harder to grow, not what you want when you are starting.

I have no problems with not washing my pots and some plants stay in them through the winter and spring.
I got hit season #1 (this season) with some kind of nastiness that was wiping out my seedlings. I was able to trace it to one specific seed tray that I was reusing without cleaning. Once I fixed that, it was no worries. I tell ya though, it wiped quite a bit out before I pieced it together (with the help of the forums).

Here's something I've noticed that some overly zealous new gardeners have done : overthink soil conditions. They research soil types and additives then concoct what they believe will be the most advantageous mixture and plant into it. Then their plant stops thriving.

Best thing for novice gardeners to do about soil is to plant or repot, when necessary, into the same soil the plant has been grown in at the nursey. Most of the time it is potting soil. If it's cacti or succulent, use cactus soil. Don't make up a "Stew" to plant in like in mixing coco coir, clay, sand, perlite, barkchips, worm castings, etc and think you're doing the plant a favor. It's that old acronym: KISS "keep it simple "sista". "

Here's something I've noticed that some overly zealous new gardeners have done : overthink soil conditions. They research soil types and additives then concoct what they believe will be the most advantageous mixture and plant into it. Then their plant stops thriving.
"Overly zealous new gardener"...just because they research soil types and amendments certainly does not qualify as "overzealous" in my book. In fact, quite the opposite. The more you know about your soil, the better gardener you are, other things being equal.

I most definitely would encourage any new gardener to learn all they can about soil, soil nutrients, and what makes things grow. "Overly zealous" in that context certainly does not apply, in my opinion.

"Concocting what they believe will be the most advantageous mixture" is an outstanding method of learning about soils. You may fail, yes, even more than once, but in that effort priceless knowledge can be gained. The best way to learn is from our mistakes and in gardening the knowledge one gains from "hands-on" "concocting" is absolutely priceless. It is also enduring.

There is absolutely no doubt that I can "concoct" planting soil which is far superior to anything on the commercial market today. It tests out "No N, P, K required". It has a nutrient density score of over 94%. It is 100% organic, never seen synthetics of any kind. Yes, it took me a good while to develop this through trial and error...but in developing it, I learned a great deal. Plants thrive in it...better than any commercial mix.

I would absolutely encourage new gardeners to "make" their own soil, experiment, learn everything you can "hand-on" if they wish to become better gardeners. The rewards are unequaled.

Last edited:
"Overly zealous new gardener"...just because they research soil types and amendments certainly does not qualify as "overzealous" in my book. In fact, quite the opposite. The more you know about your soil, the better gardener you are, other things being equal.

I most definitely would encourage any new gardener to learn all they can about soil, soil nutrients, and what makes things grow. "Overly zealous" in that context certainly does not apply, in my opinion.

"Concocting what they believe will be the most advantageous mixture" is an outstanding method of learning about soils. You may fail, yes, even more than once, but in that effort priceless knowledge can be gained. The best way to learn is from our mistakes and in gardening the knowledge one gains from "hands-on" "concocting" is absolutely priceless. It is also enduring.

There is absolutely no doubt that I can "concoct" planting soil which is far superior to anything on the commercial market today. It tests out "No N, P, K required". It has a nutrient density score of over 94%. It is 100% organic, never seen synthetics of any kind. Yes, it took me a good while to develop this through trial and error...but in developing it, I learned a great deal. Plants thrive in it...better than any commercial mix.

I would absolutely encourage new gardeners to "make" their own soil, experiment, learn everything you can "hand-on" if they wish to become better gardeners. The rewards are unequaled.
You missed the point. I was speaking of novice gardeners who generally start out with a houseplant or two, a few herbacious perennials for the flower bed, etc . Not speaking of people with enough knowledge to start growing veg to help sustain their family. The point was not to out- think the Nursery's choice of soil and mix all and sundry together thinking you are doing better than those who grew the plant for you.

Last edited: