Yet Another Texan

The USDA Hardiness Zone considers the lowest average temps in a region (for planting purposes). (That's my understanding, anyway.) San Antonio and Kent's average low temps are the same (let's say 3 deg C or 38 deg F), so your Hardiness Zones are the same (9a). It doesn't matter that SA might only hit these lows a handful of days and you have them for weeks or months at a time. OR that SA has a warmer climate.

I always look at the Hardiness map for the US, which seems to correlate with our different climates. Then there's that North Atlantic Current...and there you are, waaaaaay up north, and in Zone 9a.

The USDA Hardiness Zone considers the lowest average temps in a region (for planting purposes). (That's my understanding, anyway.) San Antonio and Kent's average low temps are the same (let's say 3 deg C or 38 deg F), so your Hardiness Zones are the same (9a). It doesn't matter that SA might only hit these lows a handful of days and you have them for weeks or months at a time. OR that SA has a warmer climate.

I always look at the Hardiness map for the US, which seems to correlate with our different climates. Then there's that North Atlantic Current...and there you are, waaaaaay up north, and in Zone 9a.
It's all to do with the jet stream so I'm told which sometimes keeps us a bit warmer - don't know where it is at the moment though. It's been raining all day, and I have heating on AND a woolly jumper.

Actually, the count is more dramatic...55 inches in just over three weeks as measured in a rain gauge. Unbelievable.
Wow. In the first few days of the rains, I was aware that areas south and east were getting slammed the most. News being what it is these days, I frequently tune out so I wasn't aware how heavy the rains had been after the first rains. Saw something just this morning on local news about that. Did you get hail and big winds as well?

Back