What's happening in your garden today?

Despite other distractions, I'm pretty much up to date with the garden.
I'm pleased that this pink wisteria that I've trailed the full length of the side of the house from its root in the small bed the other side of the fence under the kitchen window. I stopped it getting any longer last year, it when it reached the corner of the house. It gets very little sun and the blossoms are always a bit "wimpy" but it does its best.

P1010862.JPG

It's a never ending job for the moment, vaccing up fallen wisteria blossom in the back garden.
Today I'll be removing more unwanted growth on those on the two pergolas and those you can see on the one on the side wall. Plus more tying up of clematis.
Of course, whilst doing this, I'll give my two vinyl jukeboxes in our summer house a bit of use.

P1010868.JPG
This display is really awe inspiring. You must be so proud of your garden. If you were to invest in a large tree right down at the bottom it would just blot out the other houses and finish the picture - it would only set you back a few hundred quid :unsure:

Planted Dahlias in this evening been too hot to do anything the rest of the day 😎
I couldn't agree more! I just bought a fold up fisherman's bed, and can't wait to find a shady spot and be lazy (if I find time today) We have been a bit luckier with seeing a glimmer of summer in the past couple of days. Now's the time to plant the beans etc!😊

I couldn't agree more! I just bought a fold up fisherman's bed, and can't wait to find a shady spot and be lazy (if I find time today) We have been a bit luckier with seeing a glimmer of summer in the past couple of days. Now's the time to plant the beans etc!😊
Well my new laze bed didn't get to see the daylight today. We had to get both mowers out and do some mowing. Zigs took the high grass mower, and I did the mulching. Now, if it rains in the next few days as they threaten it will, at least it's shorter to start with. I need to go and feed the fish now. Zigs made a new contraption for the pond to filter the green water a bit more, and I can actually spot the fish again already after a couple of days. It will have to be seed sowing etc tomorrow.

Probably won't get around to doing much in the garden today. I have some work to do in the chicken coop before I go out of town in a few days so all of my extra energy will be there. My youngster will be staying at home while we're gone so hopefully he'll be able to send me pictures to share of what, if anything, is going down in the garden while we're out of town. I'm betting there will be yellow squash to harvest while we're away! At least I know he won't starve while we're away. :LOL:

What is the set up @Zigs? I wonder if it's similar to two of my septic tanks.
Details on this new contraption?

I didn't take as many pics as I should have but I adapted a small barrel, cut a slot for a gutter in the top and bolted that on at an angle. Put the incoming pipe into the bottom of the barrel then covered with a few sections of plant tray before putting broken lightweight concrete blocks on top.

DSC04449.JPG

I then put some batting/filter material on top with a view to putting some more smaller aggregate on top of that, but we haven't been out to get any yet. We'll be looking for something 50mm/2inches plus, with as much surface area as possible ( something like pumice would be good)

In the meantime i've put some pond plants potted up in gravel on the top.

Idea being that the water from the pond percolates up through layers to expose it to a large surface area and therefore hopefully take the algae out.

Oh, I added some moss in wire mesh to the top as well.

DSC04448.JPG

It's been raining so nothing today, apart from slug patrol in the daytime, there's so many this year, they've eaten the growing tips off the lilies that are coming up. Will they be able to flower next year?
In the autumn I'm going to dig them up and store in the garage for the winter.

It's been raining so nothing today, apart from slug patrol in the daytime, there's so many this year, they've eaten the growing tips off the lilies that are coming up. Will they be able to flower next year?
In the autumn I'm going to dig them up and store in the garage for the winter.
Can't guarantee more flowers, but I think if you leave them in you may well be lucky. The vast majority of my perennial bed was pecked off my new beds two years ago by a large family of partridges. I left them all alone, they bushed out beautifully, and I ended up with far more flowers than usual.

Last edited:
Came over to the garden to check things out between rains. Everything is looking good. We're about to be loaded in squash! 🤤

Also have a broccoli head forming so I suspect we'll have a broccoli head ready to harvest in the next few weeks. First time ever doing it so I'm pretty excited about that one.

Here's one of the squash plants. It's the one with the most veggies on it so far.

View attachment 31
Pinch those flowers as soon as they can be removed. Fungi will come to eat them and become a forever nuisance.

4 yards of sand delivered for paver bedding. Unfortunately it had to be placed about 100 feet from where I want it - something about dump trucks and fences and power lines.

Moved several wheelbarrow loads of sand and skreeded that into place. It's still really fluffy and will have to be compacted down. Hope @Tetters is right and the rain will settle a lot of it.

4 yards of sand delivered for paver bedding. Unfortunately it had to be placed about 100 feet from where I want it - something about dump trucks and fences and power lines.

Moved several wheelbarrow loads of sand and skreeded that into place. It's still really fluffy and will have to be compacted down. Hope @Tetters is right and the rain will settle a lot of it.
Sand in my clay makes a very hard substance.

DW bought a bunch of nursery veg, 24 or so, and now more peppers, tomatoes and the all important catnip have been planted.

Sand in my clay makes a very hard substance.
So I've heard. There is a line about 5 to 10 miles east of here where the pure sand ground turns to pure clay. As it is I dig more than 6 or 8 inches deep and I am digging in beach sand. I've only made it 5 feet deep but it's sand all the way down. Give me a clamshell style post hole digger and I can dig a fence post hole in less than 10 minutes.

Back