The Ossuary

Zigs

Administrator
Hardiness zone
9a
Went down there for a visit today. It's a crypt under the church at Hythe, various tales as to why all the skeletons are there including plague, Viking battles Etc. but they're probably there due to being dug up for church extensions and graveyard closures.

DSC05466.webp

There's a lot of Women and Children's remains so it's unlikely they're from a battle. Many show signs of malnutrition, some cancers, broken bones that had healed badly, worn and missing teeth etc., it was a hard life.

We made a video a few years back, in it you can see some of the hair that survived.

This was a fascinating place to visit. There was a lady sitting outside when we first visited the place who was terrified of going inside. I wondered why??? I was allowed to contribute some of my photos to this video.
It was free to visit the first time we went, but now they charge £5 for entry. 🫤

This was a fascinating place to visit. There was a lady sitting outside when we first visited the place who was terrified of going inside. I wondered why??? I was allowed to contribute some of my photos to this video.
It was free to visit the first time we went, but now they charge £5 for entry. 🫤
I'd be that lady wating outside. Those skulls are just terrifying !!😖

Back