Texas Lilac

Meadowlark

The Texas lilac is native to China and India, but it has been cultivated in the U.S. since 1670. It has been used as a medicinal plant and was mentioned by Hippocrates, Dioscorides, and Theophrast.

Bees and butterflies are constant attendees to its flowers which persist all summer here in spite of oppressive heat and humidity. .

texas lilac .webp

texas lilac 2.webp

That is lovely. Not a shrub/tree I have ever grown, but popular too in the mediterranean regions. I had to look up its Latin name which is Vitex rather than Syringa.
Have you had this shrub for long @Meadowlark ? When I looked it up I found out that it needs a lot of warmth, and although it is grown in the UK, it probably needs more warmth than we can give it. It has interesting palmate leaves I see, quite different to Lilac (Syringa) and is drought tolerant as well.
Growing plants like this with flowers that attract butterflies and bees too I think is important as a companion planting for vegetables, and ornamental plantings most certainly have their place in every garden. That is the way nature was intended. Food for the body is great, but food for the soul is also necessary.

Back