Sweet Potatoes

Mike

Administrator
First name
Mike
Hardiness zone
8a
Has anyone ever grown sweet potatoes through the fall before? According to Gardenate, I should be planting them now, but I don't really have room in my garden right now. My plan was to try planting them when I dig up my red potatoes in what I'm guessing will be sometime in July to August.

So, the question is, if I plant them by August, would they still be able to grow and produce this year? Or should I wait until next year to try a crop?

Solution
You are looking at 110 days to maturity. I've had crop failure when only 90 days growth and frost, so they need the full time to grow.

If you plant them by August, in your zone it is very unlikely you will get a crop. Early July better odds. June even better.

As an aside, I just planted some Asian and Murasaki sweet potatoes last week.
You are looking at 110 days to maturity. I've had crop failure when only 90 days growth and frost, so they need the full time to grow.

If you plant them by August, in your zone it is very unlikely you will get a crop. Early July better odds. June even better.

As an aside, I just planted some Asian and Murasaki sweet potatoes last week.

Upvote 1
Solution
If you plant them by August, in your zone it is very unlikely you will get a crop.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. May have to cut out another piece of land out on the side of the garden so I can go ahead and get some in the ground now. Baked sweet potatoes with just butter, salt, and pepper is one of my favorite steak sides and I'd really like to not have to keep buying them in the store when I have a huge garden now. :LOL: Also, I've never grown sweet potatoes before so it'd be a nice little change.

Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0
Random question. Growing Sweet potatoes for 1st time. I have 4 Sweet pots in dirt for slip harvesting. have a ton of slips, do not really need anymore. what do you do with the sweet potatoes you have been using for slips?

Upvote 0
Back