Suggestions on pruning

Anniekay

Hardiness zone
9a
I bought this "Tree" as a "Bush Apricot" in 2022. It came bareroot and, at the time, I was not decided as to where to plant it, so I potted it. I kept moving the pot here and there and ruminating on it's final home.

Finally, last year in spring, I planted it and it leapt !! It has to be at least 12' tall.
Any suggestions on how to prune it to mayIMG_20240725_080540.webpbe get it back to at least a " short enough to pick" form? I have cut a few lower branches off, probably a big mistake? They were shading my corn.

I wish it would sucker, but I haven't seen a single shoot coming from the ground as of yet?

I like the open center approach to pruning them and also peach trees. Allows better fruit ripening . Facilitates better air circulation and light penetration which are important factors in reducing disease such as brown rot.

In addition, I like to be able to pick the fruit without ladders.

So, my approach would be when the tree is dormant, remove any crossing branches and trim the remaining ones back a few feet as illustrated by the blue cut marks below.

pruned treeIMG_20240725_080540.webp

I like the open center approach to pruning them and also peach trees. Allows better fruit ripening . Facilitates better air circulation and light penetration which are important factors in reducing disease such as brown rot.

In addition, I like to be able to pick the fruit without ladders.

So, my approach would be when the tree is dormant, remove any crossing branches and trim the remaining ones back a few feet as illustrated by the blue cut marks below.

View attachment 962
I'm hoping it's not going to keep getting taller. I was thinking about copicing it, like when people commit " Crepe Murder" on Crepe Myrtles and then they sucker, but I'm afraid it might set it back too much and I'd be many years without it fruiting.?? What thinks you?

Back