Site Upgraded

Mike

Administrator
First name
Mike
Hardiness zone
8a
So I just upgraded the site to the newest version of our forum software (XenForo). With it comes a few updates that y'all might like.

First off, is a new dark mode. Now you can browse the site on your mobile device while you're laying in bed and not disturb your significant other with the brightness of your screen. This will also automatically adjust based on your device settings. You can, however, turn that off and simply select "Light" or "Dark" if you prefer to do that. By default, it's set on "System", though.

The next thing is renaming conversations to direct messages. Conversations are a bit confusing to some users but almost everyone will recognize what a direct message (or DM) is.

Finally, added support for search suggestions. When you're typing keywords into the search box, you'll automatically be given a list of search suggestions that match your request.

Not part of the upgrade, but I did add a new home page today. I'm sure it'll change in the future, but I'm thinking a better main landing page that shows all the different, and most popular, topics we have going on would be nice for new guests to see.

Also, I wanted to say this so that any of you who have bookmarked the site, you might want to update your bookmarks to the main forum page if that's where you want to land (as I do).

Here is that link: https://gardenchatforum.com/forums/

It does give it a snazzy look but I'll still go to the main forum page to see what's going on Mike :)

I have noticed that pictures are uploading a lot faster now (y):cool:

It does give it a snazzy look but I'll still go to the main forum page to see what's going on Mike :)

I have noticed that pictures are uploading a lot faster now (y):cool:
Yes, there was some improvement in that regard. Images used to be resized by the server after upload, which meant uploading a large file, then waiting for the server to resize it. Now files are realized by your device prior to uploading. So where you might have uploaded a 2+Mb file before, now you're only uploading a 200-500Kb file, and as soon as the upload is finished it's ready to be loaded into the page.

Back