Plum Good

Meadowlark

Every year we harvest several gallons of plums from these two trees and give them to a wonderful lady who makes the best tasting jelly I have ever had...I'm sure its laced with lots of sugar:mad: but for this I kind of ignore that.

The plums require a pollinator thus two trees. One is a Santa Rosa and the other I forget. This year is a very good crop that looks like several gallons of plums and hence plum jelly.

plums 2024.webp

plums 2 2024.webp

Awesome! We've got a place out back where we plan to put in an orchard but we didn't get any work done there and it's really too late to do it now anyways. Next year, for sure, we'll have several trees, including plums and peaches. It's been so long since I've had homemade plum jelly or peach preserves.

That said, we'll be making some strawberry jam this week at some point! 🕺

Autumn is the time for planting trees as long as the ground is not frozen. Looking forward to seeing a whole orchard Mike. How much ground do you have there? It might pay you to get a tractor mower. We couldn't be without ours - we have a high grass deck on a countax, and a lovely little cub cadet zero turn, which is best for cutting around the beds. Just under 4 acres.
1717008515732.webp1717008815123.webp

Autumn is the time for planting trees as long as the ground is not frozen. Looking forward to seeing a whole orchard Mike. How much ground do you have there? It might pay you to get a tractor mower. We couldn't be without ours - we have a high grass deck on a countax, and a lovely little cub cadet zero turn, which is best for cutting around the beds. Just under 4 acres.
View attachment 314View attachment 315

I call it an orchard, but I only mean the spot where the trees will go. There won't be many of them. I'm thinking 6-8 fruit trees total. We've got 3.5 acres, divided into a few different sections. Probably 3 acres of it is the "field". Then there's the house and back yard. Then we have what we call the "back back yard", which is just another fenced area outside the back yard fence. That's where the orchard will go. The trees will be right next to the chicken run, which I'll post pictures of at some point.

I do have a Hustler zero turn mower, but I highly doubt it'll cut through anything that's 10 foot tall. It has a tough enough time cutting through 5 foot tall careless weeds.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think @Meadowlark mows his cover crops regularly? If that was the case, I expect your Hustler would cope - wouldn't it?
I think that's true but he was saying with the hemp that he'll mow it a few times and then in several months it'll actually be 10 feet tall. :eek: