Photography Discussion

@granjera the Canon SX50 HS was released in 2012 and I believe mine is now ten years old. I'd like to replace it and my older Canon DSLR which I hardly use now but I can't justify the cost at the moment. When the time comes I will replace both with just a bridge camera and it won't be a Canon.

@granjera the Canon SX50 HS was released in 2012 and I believe mine is now ten years old. I'd like to replace it and my older Canon DSLR which I hardly use now but I can't justify the cost at the moment. When the time comes I will replace both with just a bridge camera and it won't be a Canon.
What do you folks think of the

Canon PowerShot SX70 HS 20.3-Megapixel Digital Camera​

as a bridge camera? It seems to be in my price range unlike the Sony and others.

The SX70 is an updated version of my SX50 and the SX60 and having checked it out on the internet - on the whole it has good reports. If you've not used a bridge camera before it will take a little time to get used too, particularly the electronic viewfinder (EVF). There is the option of using the screen, which I've adopted in recent years as my eye sight isn't what it was.

Canon's are very good middle price range cameras and the SX70, like the earlier ones, has the benefit of distance shooting, although a tripod is preferable at full zoom for steadiness. I can't vouch for the SX70 but I've found with both my Canons, shots aren't quite as clear as other makes of camera, although they seemed to have improved things with SX70. Shooting something that moves fast can prove difficult with an EVF, but again it seems the SX70 has been improved regarding that.

It's a good all round camera @Meadowlark and I don't think you would go far wrong if you decided on it. I would suggest, if you have the opportunity, to trial it if possible at a camera dealership. Canon cameras have been around for a long while and have updated their technology well as time has progressed. Would I buy the SX70? Yes, if I was to buy another Canon. :)

Edit: Having dominated this thread with camera chat I think a thread should be started for Photography discussion.

Back