My Lion needs some moss

Anniekay

Hardiness zone
9a
I have this plastic lion and while very , very ferocious, he can't move an inch !! 😄 I can annoy him all I like !!

So, I figured he'd be good to grow moss on.😊 Only thing is 🤔 how to get the moss to grow on the plastic? Should I scuff him up a bit?
(that'll tick him off ), but hey, he's my lion !! Anybody have any ideas?

I have a lot of moss growing on the ground on the north side of the house. No idea what type of moss it is or if it's a proper moss to use on a lion. Are there types of mosses that go well on plastic lions, maybe? He's over there behind Ruella Ellie Gans.IMG_20240725_080017.webp

Well, firstly Annie, the moss will be growing on the north side of the house because it will be shady there. It's no good trying to grow moss in the sun - it won't happen.
If you can relocate him to where the moss grows, I can tell you how to go about it, and it will work - I've done it myself in my back yard which is also on the north side,
So glad you managed to Christen Ellie!

Well, firstly Annie, the moss will be growing on the north side of the house because it will be shady there. It's no good trying to grow moss in the sun - it won't happen.
If you can relocate him to where the moss grows, I can tell you how to go about it, and it will work - I've done it myself in my back yard which is also on the north side,
So glad you managed to Christen Ellie!
Mmmm, He gets a couple hours of very early morning sun, then he's in full shade the rest of the day. He faces east and is in the back corner of my shade garden. I have my rainbarrel where the moss grows so, I guess he's not getting any moss. 😣

I'm sure he'll be quite pleased. 😒

Mmmm, He gets a couple hours of very early morning sun, then he's in full shade the rest of the day. He faces east and is in the back corner of my shade garden. I have my rainbarrel where the moss grows so, I guess he's not getting any moss. 😣

I'm sure he'll be quite pleased. 😒
Cheer up, that's quite a lot of shade, and I bet he wouldn't mind if you created a little more with some kind of shrub or something.
If you decide to have a go, he would need a good rubbing down with some coarse sandpaper first. Then I think I might coat him with some contact glue and sand and paint him all over with a big pot of live yoghurt. Then you just have to wait and let nature take over. As the existing moss sends out spores, they will go to where they will get nourishment, and that's where the yoghurt comes in.
It takes time of course - it sure won't happen overnight. First he will darken up and look a bit sad and it's a long process.
I did this around the back of my fish pond, and it has worked - but it took ages.
Leo might like to be surrounded by some nice tall ferns while he's waiting?
1725181227456.webp You could always buy a bit of shaggy fabric like this for him if it goes wrong 😀

You can blend some chopped up moss bits into the yogurt and paint it on. That might speed things up a bit. Or buttermilk.

Edit: I bought a cheap blender, marked "Moss Only" with a sharpie. It resides in the garage to keep errant party goers from experiencing that great moss aroma in their beverages. It can really stink!

Last edited:
Back